Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Thyveck: Backs against the wall

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 ]   
Author
Topic:  Thyveck: Backs against the wall
Anival Velasquez
ComNet Member

Anival Velasquez

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  898
Total Posts:  1075
  RE: Thyveck: Backs against the wall
May 31, 2011 6:08:20 PM    View the profile of Anival Velasquez 
OOC:
ECLIPSE

Anival looked to the ground, thinking, trying to formulate a counter-plan to the hit and run tactics. It was obvious they were at a disadvantage, and it was also, obvious that the enemy knew were they were. Anival kept low to the floor, and looked onto the field, at a safe distance, engineers were placing medical tents, not big one, and they could probably hold ten wounded soldiers, if that.

Men at an even greater distance were digging holes. Graves; to be more specific, mass graves. Anival fumed, they were already planning to lose. With that mindset they would surely die. What caught his attention was the speed the engineers were building the tents. A light went off in Anivals head. He excused himself and jogged to the engineers.

“Excuse me, who’s the senior engineer?”

A muscular man walked up to Anival, he seemed world-weary.

“I am. How can I help?”

“I’m in a bit of a problem, we need to set up counter-sniper stations, but the places we have are obvious.”

“And what do you expect me to do?”

“I need…….siege towers.”

“What?”

“Siege towers.”

“What in the seven hells is that?”

Anival sighed, of course they wouldn’t know what it was, the method was incredibly outdated, even more so by the technology of the era. Maybe warfare history wasn’t a good idea.

“Okay, I need you to build about seven boxes, about two meters high, and enough room for two snipers and some ammo. The towers need to be camouflaged, but not by our technology, by old method, don’t know if you know how to do it, but you-“

“Yeah, I think I know what you’re saying.”

“Can you do it?”

“There’s nothing we can’t do.”

“How long will it take?”

“Give us forty minutes.”

Anival nodded and ran off to tell the men his plan, but first he commed Skarr.

“Skarr, this is Anival.”

“…..go ahead….”

“I have an idea, I think we can counter the hit and run.”

“How?”

“We put fake snipers on the roof, and have our real snipers on the field.”

“Explain.”

“Ok, have you heard of siege towers?”

“Yes, but what use do they have here?”

“We can use them as sniper towers, they should attract a bit of attention, but the enemy will probably think we are trying to grab their attention from the snipers.”

“I see what you’re getting at.”

“Do I have the go ahead then?”

“Yes, but if it fails, and we loose our snipers it’s on your head.”

“Understood sir.”

Anival ended the conversation and ran to talk with the snipers. Anival explained, and re-explained his plan; he wanted to make sure it would be understood. It was, he hoped, going to work, after all, no one had used a siege tower since the time of the projectile gun. Anival took time to get to know each one of the snipers, it might be wasted time, but it would bring out more performance from the men.

Afterwards Anival talked to Thengil, the young soldier was eager for battle, and by the end of the day, he would remember it all, they dead bodies, the strong smell of copper, the overwhelming noise of comm. Traffic. Anival smiled, they would make it out of this battle. There were things he needed to do, people he needed to see, and one individual he needed to thank.

OOC:
This post carries on what me and Thengil were doing.
~President of the YFC~
TRP/SSG AnivalVelasquez/1SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/[AS-H]/[AS-1]/[EW:2C]/[DoH]/[BC]/[SCA]/[BoT]/[ESC'09]/(A3)
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Grahim
ComNet Cadet

Grahim

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  254
Total Posts:  284
June 1, 2011 12:35:43 AM    View the profile of Grahim 
OOC:
RAIDERS

Grahim heard what Karash saying that he hadn't wanted to do it. The medic's face twisted the same way it had been the time he had put the overdose of meds in Grahim's veins. Which made him think that Karash had a flashback to that specific campaign, Joamer was almost in the same position as Grahim had been back then. Grahim felt sorry for Karash ”Itsa might have beensa una better situation for Karash if mesa had died datsa day.” Grahim thought to himself as he looked at the squad. The squad had been doing very well during these six months. But he noticed that they all was very worn down. They had all hoped they would be sent home after their last assignment. But no the army high council had decided that they were needed to fight even more.

Grahim suspected that if they were forced to stay much longer the squad would probably go rogue and steal the next shuttle from Thyveck and probably try to make a living as mercs. Maybe some of them would take the normal life and return to the world as a civilian. Grahim would probably support the suggestion of going rogue right now because they had been forced into situations no one should ever be forced into.

Grahim's eye was starting to ache more and more, though he didn't tell anyone because he didn't want to bother the squad right now. They were in so much hardship so they didn't need his complaints on top of that. Grahim was thinking of cutting the eye of. Because he could manage sometime with out the one eye but he would need a replacement, he would probably receive a cybernetic eye, when they were done with this mission.

Grahim decided that he could wait with the eye until they was done with these commandos. But he realized that if they would go in the pace that they did now they would never gain on them. Grahim took Bright to the side to talk with her.

“Ma'am can mesa put forth una suggestion?” Grahim asked. he had felt that it was important to show respect towards Bright right now because even though he didn't always like her he had to respect her as his superior officer and if he could show that he regretted what he had said earlier he might have a chance to repent for it.

“Yes, go ahead.” Bright said, Grahim could see that she was especially fond of him at the moment but Joamer wasn't really in the position to be asked questions at the moment anyways.

“Mesa wondered if mesa could take yousa and mesa should go aheads und hunt demsa hisen down?” Grahim knew that his ASL didn't want to leave Joamer and the rest as they were at the moment but he had to hope that she would see reason in his suggestion because if they could finish of the enemies the faster they could all get to safety and to the shelters and hopefully some well-deserved rest.

“I don't know.” She said and glanced at Joamer. Then she continued “But I see your point and you and I could probably move faster just the two of us. Let me tell Joamer about the decision.” The Gunnery Sergeant walked towards her superior. After a short discussion Bright received the A280 Joamer had been carrying with him.

Bright walked over to Grahim. “Joamer said that you would be able to handle this better than he could at the moment. But he wanted to ponder if we were allowed to go by our selves.” Bright said and gave the rifle to Grahim. He had missed holding this model. It was a comfortable rifle to carry and to use. Grahim bowed a little towards Joamer in gratitude. Joamer only made a slight nod in his direction.

The squad moved slowly down the hallways. They didn't encounter anymore booby traps. The commandos maybe thought that they had been killed by the laser mine. At least that was what he was hoping for right now.
Grahim Nass Sad
RAIDERS Squad
TRP/LCP Grahim/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1REG/VEA/VE[AS-H][AoT][CDS][ESC09]

AS-1/LCP Grahim/STCA/VEA/VE
[This message has been edited by Grahim (edited June 1, 2011 2:12:15 PM)]
Jegora
ComNet Marshal

Jegora

[VE-ARMY] Captain
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight
[VE-ICS] Pirate Lord
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1809
Total Posts:  2175
June 1, 2011 6:45:38 PM    View the profile of Jegora 
OOC:
Graded to here - 1 June 2011

Raiders: 281
BlackJack: 372
Eclipse: 153

Bonus points and deductions still have yet to be made, I believe, but that's how the scores stand now.
Not all who wander are lost.
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  579
Total Posts:  997
June 1, 2011 9:29:05 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
The pounding in his head was dampened slightly by the drug cocktail Karash had put him on. It was not entirely effective though, since if he concentrated on one thing too hard he could feel his skull seem to shrink around his brain. Seeing the squad in such a poor shape was wearing on him, he knew they would follow him to the depths of hell. They would do it because they were well trained, and he was the Squad Leader.

Deep in his gut he knew their current path was going to lead to their deaths. He looked over at Grahim taking point. The Gungan walking slowly, holding the A280 that Joamer had given him. In truth it was not because he could not use it anymore, in the close quarters a rifle of that size became a hindrance rather than a help. He had plans to slung it soon anyways, and rely on his Particle Magnum.

The constant state of being on edge, and fearing any slight crack in the floor was wearing on them all. He knew this was the wrong way to face the commandos, racing after them would only wear the squad down. Eventually someone was going to be killed. They had already suffered multiple injuries, they were lucky no one was dead yet.

He watched as Heliwer and Grahim scouted ahead a few yards in front of the squad. It had been nearly ten minutes since the last trap. Joamer was becoming increasingly worried as to why that was, either they were about to run into an ambush. Or the commandos had finished their mission, and was laughing at them all drinking ale in a cantina somewhere.

"Stop..." Joamer looked up at the squad, they were beginning to make the turn. "I said fraking STOP!" He managed to let his voice carry enough to the two in the front. He instantly regretted it as his head began pounding even worse. He shut his eyes and fought the will to faint.

Tasting the copperish tinge of blood he ignored it and looked up. The squad was looking at him, a few with frightened expression, the others with a mixture of hope and joy. With the drug cocktail he was able to hear some, so speaking was not as major a problem as it was awhile ago. He knelt down on the floor and closed his eyes, willing his brain to stop pounding enough to speak coherently.

After a minute he held up a hand as he sensed two people approaching, he figured it would be Bright and Karash coming to check on him. He did not need them to tell him his condition was getting worse. He could taste the blood in his mouth, it was faint but it was still there.

"Everyone, spread out enough to cover this area, but remain close enough to hear me since I can't talk very loud right now." Joamer said slowly enough where he could make out his words, and not cause his brain to explode in the process.

He waited till everyone was situated before starting again. "The path we are on is going to lead to someones death. We have injured amongst us, and by all rights should be on the way home now, but we are not." He looked over at each member of his squad one by one, he read the amount of resolve each had left and barely managed to keep a grimace from his face as he did so.

"We are here because we are the best at this. The other surviving squads are out doing their own thing because that is what they are good at. We are RAIDERS, we fight in abnormal ways because that is who we are. This... running after highly trained commandos down trap lined corridors is a mistake. A mistake I take full credit for, I am sorry for doing this to all of you, but it's time for a change." He paused for a moment, letting the words sink in slowly.

This next part was going to be the trickiest bit, it could very well turn into a mad house in an instant. He felt it needed to be done, they were dealing with circumstances that were beyond their scope of training and experience.

"Listen, I've been fighting a long time. I have not been leading a squad for a long time though, I need pointers. I'm opening the floor to new ideas about what we should do. I know splitting us up is one idea, but I don't like that one bit. We are stronger as a team, if we were at our peak I would sign off on it. Every one of us is injured in some way, we need to stay together to survive." He stopped talking and sat back, letting the words sink in fully and for someone to begin speaking. No one did, and as the minutes ticked by he wondered if he had done the right thing or not.

He watched them all in turn as they pondered their situation. A few of them began talking softly to themselves, running tactics through multiple situations. He knew they were trying to find a better way to do things, but with their limited resources it was becoming a challenge.

Most of them he knew as new recruits. He could remember seeing them step off the shuttle the first day out of the Academy. Fresh faced, and feeling like they could take on the world. Now, everyone of them was becoming hard, distant. It happened on long campaigns, it's why squad missions tended to be shorter. When you pushed a body to hard it began to shut down, and that is what was happening with his squad.

He mourned the innocent look that everyone had that first day, but it rarely survived the very first mission. After over six months of fighting, he doubted anyone one of them would be able to look at the world the same ever again.

He looked up as the first argument broke out. He considered just shooting himself and getting it over with, but as he watched Bright stand up and walk over to the group he decided against it. She could probably bring him back from the dead, and if she went through that kind of trouble he would be in for more pain then what he was already in.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin
Sergeant First Class, Squad Leader
Raiders Squad, Wildcard Platoon, Academy Staff

SL|SFC Joamer|2SQD|1PLT|COM|RGT|BAT|VEA|VE
[ES1]x2 [EW1]x2 [EW2] [LoR] [BoH] [AS-H] [AS-1] [AS-2] [AS-3] [SCA] [DoH-P] [BC] [RoT] [KAD] [AoT] [ESC09] {RES} (5.1) (6.1)
In memory of Ghost squad, we will never forget.
Brightstar
ComNet Member

Brightstar

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  533
Total Posts:  710
June 1, 2011 11:16:05 PM    View the profile of Brightstar 
Bright was not about to have any arguing. Her people were falling apart at the seams. Many of them she didn't even know beyond having just met them not to long ago. Karash, and Grahim were currently the only ones besides Joamer that she knew at all. Living and bleeding with not withstanding, Bright did not know her squad.

She stood up and waded into the middle of Cayla and Mox going at each other simply to be arguing. She knelt on one knee and put a strong hand on each of their shoulders. She thought hard about knocking their heads together. It would certainly make them shut up, but Bright didn't want to be that kind of person. She simply pushed them apart and looked at both of them.

"I don't care who either of you is. Back on that mountain Joamer gave you both a clean slate." She said her voice quiet enough that they had to stop yelling to hear. "As of right now, I'm putting my life in your hands. I'm trusting you to keep me alive like I'm trusting you to keep every other person in this squad alive." The ASL let go of their shoulders and stood back up. Her eyes, when she looked down at them spoke in volumes she'd never before conveyed. "Don't throw that trust away. It doesn't come cheap."

Reaching onto the table they were sitting by, Bright picked up a data pad. The room was full of them and she was certain that at this particular room had at one time been used for information processing. Making sure the thing worked she shoved it into Mox's hands, "Now make yourself useful and get me a readout of this damned building." To his credit the young man did exactly as he was told and went right to work.

Hearing the raised voices of Heliwer and Grahim, Bright once again put herself between the two. This time she forcefully pushed the two apart. She kept one hand physically on the Gungan. If he was going to grab anyone it was going to be her and she knew how to put him down hard.

Hel sneered at Grahim. "Yeah go ahead you creepy one eared freak, hide behind the red head."

The reaction was just as Bright had expected, and as much as she wanted to let Grahim go at the man, she grabbed her friend hard and sent him to the ground. "ENOUGH!" She yelled, glaring not at Grahim but at Heliwer. "I had half a mind to let him teach you what it was like to provoke him," Bright said getting up in Heliwer's face. "And next time I will. Now is neither the time nor the place and if you do it again that’s less baggage for us to carry." Bright took a step forward and forced Heliwer back. "I could care less if you like him or not, but you WILL fight and bleed beside him and you WILL save his ass if it comes down to it. Because that is what being a RAIDER is about. Is that clear soldier?"

The lance corporal ground his teeth and clenched his fists. His stare was just as hard as Bright's and full of righteous anger. "Yes, Ma'am."

Bright smacked him hard on the back of the head her anger with him still burning with in. "Then keep it that way." She stepped back and let the taller man stand straighter. "How many explosive you have?" She asked once again all business.

Heliwer looked like he had just suffered from whiplash. "Six or seven." He said shaking the dumbfounded look off his face.

"Good." She said simply before turning and helping Grahim off the floor. She really hadn't meant to hit the guy so hard. Normally just a tap was enough to calm him at the right moments. "Sorry Buddy," She said, "Do me favor and fly into a rage when we need you too and not when it could mean the killing one of our own."

Grahim looked at her steadily then nodded with a slight salute. He went off to stand next to Joamer, completely ignoring Heliwer.

"Gunney!" Mox called from the other side of the room. "I have what you asked for."

Bright crossed to the man's side and took the data pad from him. Sure enough on it was a perfect blueprint for the building they had been blundering through. She allowed a small smile to show itself and patted Mox on the shoulder. “Nice work.” She said walking back over to Joa.

Gathering everyone around the data pad she pointed out the route they had been on, following the most recognized path to the top, where the generators were located. Scrolling to their position she pointed out another route. “A service corridor?” Tviana asked looking up at Brightstar.

Bright nodded and traced the route the would be taking. “It goes up about four floors before you have to converge onto the obvious route here.” She pointed.

“How do we know they haven't already reached that floor?” Sciuridae asked. The girl looked almost worried. She kept glancing at the others in the squad.

“Have you noticed the traps have gotten a little more complicated lately?” The others nodded. “Traps like those take time, time and confidence you aren't going to be caught off guard by your pursuers. The lack of them could mean they believe we are dead or dying.” Bright sat back and watched the faces of her squad.

No she was not the SL, but this was her squad none the less.  And she was proud to be a Raider.  Anybody who brought shame to that name would have her to deal with, but for  now she was aware of the very real emotions playing across those half dead faces. She looked over at Joa and nodded. She was ready to do what needed to be done if the worst should happen. She wouldn't be happy about it but she was certain now she could pull it off. For a moment he looked reassured.

“Well what are we waiting for.” Joamer said quietly. “Raiders, move out. Grahim you take point Heliwer you have the rear guard.” With that order they were moving onward again. This time they were playing by their rules
ASL/GSG Brightstar D'Jonoc/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1REG/VEA/VE[SRP][SCA][AS-2][ES1][ES1]{RES}[EW2]

"For your sake, I really hope that isn't a challenge."

Sciuridae
ComNet Novice

Sciuridae

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  35
Total Posts:  43
June 2, 2011 2:08:26 AM    View the profile of Sciuridae 
"Yes, well... at least I'm not a possible Rebel spy!" she yelled at Mox, infuriated that he called her a liar to her face.

"At least I was honest with my squad!  I wasn't the one hiding my identity, possibly endangering the lives of everyone in the process!" he snapped back, getting closer to her.

She was about to respond when Bright got inbetween them, placing a hand on their shoulders.

"I don't care who either of you is. Back on that mountain Joamer gave you both a clean slate." She said her voice barely audiable over the yelling.

Cayla and Mox both stopped yelling so they could listen.

"As of right now, I'm putting my life in your hands. I'm trusting you to keep me alive like I'm trusting you to keep every other person in this squad alive." The ASL let go of their shoulders and stood back up.  "Don't throw that trust away. It doesn't come cheap."

Cayla watched the ASL walk over to grab a datapad, then she turned back to Mox.  "I'm sorry for getting snippy with you, Mox.  It hasn't been quite the best six months I've spent in one location," she said, cracking a small smile.

"Yeah, well... I'm sorry too, I suppose... but we're not through here.  You may have everyone else fooled here, but not me.  I will find out who you really are, "Cayla", and expose you to the whole squad!" he said, walking away before being pulled aside by Bright.

Cayla sighed and looked around.  She saw Tviana and headed over to the Zelosian.  "Hey..." she said quietly, rubbing her left hand against the inside of her elbow.

Tviana opened her eyes and glanced at the woman. "Sorry... you're blocking my sunlight."

Cayla looked at her, confused.  "Wha-?  Oh... right.  Sorry..." she said quickly, stepping to the side, out of the sunlight.

Tviana stood there for another second, then noticably relaxed. "Ah... That felt good. Anyway, did you need anything?"

"Not really... I just wanted to talk.  Get to know you better," Cayla said, smiling weakly.

"Oh... well, I guess there really isn't much to tell. I've been a slave most of my life, usually to some bounty hunter, and so the army seemed like a natural choice once I ended up on my own. Everything else is just basic Zelosian stuff."

"Like what basic Zelosian stuff?" she asked, curious to know more about Tviana's species.

"Well, normally a Zelosian is a complete pacifist. However, we also have the ability to absorb general emotion, ability, even DNA from the things around us. I've been around violence so long, I've even grown to like it... which just isn't normal, even for a our relatively strange species. Even if I went back, I'd be an outcast... probably even be Burned."

"That's also something I never really believed.  Is it true you literally explode if you're burned?" she asked quietly.

"Not immediately, but yes... the chemicals in our 'blood' can be highly combustible under direct flame."

"Interesting... so you're like, walking explosives... living a life of pacifism... except that due to your past, you're a homicidal tree who can explode when exposed to intense heat?"

"That just about sums it up."

"Interesting... so... why, exactly, did you decide to join the Vast Empire?"

"My last owner was an Imperial officer stationed on a world not too far from Vast Empire space. I managed to loot enough to buy passage, and somehow ended up on Tadath. I found out I still had my tendency toward violence, so I joined the army."

Cayla was about to say something when a thought crossed her mind.  "What are you planning on doing, once all of this is over?  Assuming we make it out alive, of course," she asked suddenly.

"I don't know... probably go camping, or something. Why?"

"Well, I was planning on going back home for a while... and I was wondering... if you wanted to come along with me?" Cayla asked nervously.

"If my presence would help, then I'd be glad to accompany you."

Cayla grinned, her first honest grin since she landed on this god-forsaken rock, and said "Awesome.  I'll be sure to inform my family that I'm bringing company... as soon as I get access to a long-range communicator."

Cayla looked around again and noticed Bright calling everyone over.

Everyone gathered around the datapad as she pointed out the route they had been on, following the most recognized path to the top, where the generators were located. Scrolling to their position she pointed out another route. “A service corridor?” Tviana asked looking up at Brightstar.

Bright nodded and traced the route the would be taking. “It goes up about four floors before you have to converge onto the obvious route here.” She pointed.

“How do we know they haven't already reached that floor?” Cayla asked, her face heavy with worry.  She looked at everyone's face and felt that they were all either almost at the breaking point, or way beyond it.  Joamer looks like the walking dead... he needs a damn hospital and fast she thought, stopping on him for a while.  Cayla partially tuned Bright out, catching bits and pieces of what she said, but understanding the jist: the commandos weren't maintaining their perfect streak of traps and thought they were dead.

She heard Joamer give the order to move out, so she shouldered her gear and fell in-line behind Grahim, her rifle held at low-ready.

OOC:
Yeah, don't quite know where to lead us, so...

I'll leave that fun with Grahim.
Private First Class Cayla "Sciuridae" Tavers, RAIDERS Squad Trooper

TRP/PFC Sciuridae/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR] [ES1]

Tviana
ComNet n00b

Tviana

Post Number:  8
Total Posts:  14
June 2, 2011 3:22:03 AM    View the profile of Tviana 
The Zelosian's gaze lingered on Cayla for a second. There's something about that girl... I'm picking up emotions I've never felt before. How strange. She grabbed her rifle and fell back into formation beside the woman. She glanced around at the walls as they moved along. There should've been another trap by now... if they actually thought we were dead, they would've left someone behind to check.

"Keep your eyes open... I think we're walking into another trap."

Heliwer snorted. "Leave the trap-springing to the experts, recruit."

She continued looking around. "I don't know... There's just something not right here..."

"Keep moving, people, the service corridor is just ahead," Brightstar called out.

Finally, she spotted it. A loose wire, sticking out of a crease in the ceiling, which was leading to both a motion sensor and...

"Everyone get down!" She yelled, already pulling Cayla down. Brightstar and Karash immediately grabbed Joamer, and Grahim dove behind a crate. Heliwer and Mox just stood there confused for a moment... which was all it took to trigger the sensor. A loud blast sounded almost directly above them, and large chunks of the ceiling began crashing down around them. The air was filled with dust, and the resounding crashes from the impacts of the debris drowned out all attempts at communication. A small piece slammed into her head, knocking her completely flat and sending what little of the world she could see spinning.

Finally the noise began to die down, and the dust slowly cleared. The ASL's voice rang out. "Everybody okay?"

Tviana answered first. "I am intact."

Cayla rolled over and groaned. "I'm alive, mostly."

As the rest of the squad voiced confirmation that they were at least alive, Cayla turned to Tviana.

"Thanks."

The Zelosian merely nodded, then turned to inspect the damage. The entire section of corridor in front of them and a good chunk of the surrounding area was completely caved in. Everyone but Joamer had sustained some kind of minor injury, although Mox and Heli took the worst of it.

"Well, I guess we won't be taking the service corridor right now. Any ideas?"

Cayla raised her hand. "We could try climbing up the outside of the building. I think there's enough ledges to get us to the top."

Brightstar thought about the suggestion for a second before shaking her head. "Most of us aren't physically capable of doing a climb like that right now."

There was silence for a few seconds, but then Heli spoke up. "I think if I can get an explosive or two up near the roof, I can widen the opening enough for us to climb through."

"Hmm... Do it. We can't afford to waste any time."

The soldier pulled two explosives out, set them properly, and threw them up at the wall of debris. Everyone collectively held their breaths for a moment. If those things go off at the wrong angle, not only will the roof stay closed... but we'll have shrapnel to deal with.

The two smaller charges went off, creating another, smaller, cloud of dust and debris. However, the light shining down from the floor above immediately verified the success of the demolition.

"Great work, Heli... just one problem."

"Yeah?"

"How are we supposed to climb up that?"

"Well, you... oh, right."

Suddenly one of the larger objects at the top of the pile shifted and came flying down towards them. Tviana sidestepped it, and as soon as it came to a stop she examined it.

"A... bouncer?"

She climbed up on top of it and jumped. The somewhat primitive weaved mesh sank and then rebounded, sending her higher than a normal leap. This... is actually kind of fun. But now's not the time for that... She took as big of a jump as she could, and the bouncer knocked her all the way up to the gap in the ceiling. She grasped it as tight as she could, and, ignoring the pain in her arms and back, she pulled herself up.

"Tviana... that's brilliant. Everyone, we're going to bounce our way up there." Up came Cayla, and Tviana caught her hand when the woman nearly missed. She hauled her up, and they both waited for the rest of the squad. Last came Joamer, who needed a bit of help jumping straight up.

"Well, now they know we're still alive... so let's get going."

OOC:
Thought I'd do something a little silly to make up for the CD. Obviously, bouncer = trampoline.
"Leaves are free, so let me be." - Tviana

TRP/PFC Tviana "Leaf" Del/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE

[This message has been edited by Tviana (edited June 2, 2011 10:19:34 AM)]
Grahim
ComNet Cadet

Grahim

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  255
Total Posts:  284
June 2, 2011 3:21:55 PM    View the profile of Grahim 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Sergeant Tobias Blixtskog
Acting Squad Leader in Rage Squad

He had been in Rage Squad for many years but this planet had been hell for him and the squad and he wasn't even talking about the current mission. Right before the current mission their real squad leader and assistant squad leader had been killed by a rock slide up in the mountains. Rage Squad had barely made it out of there. The recently deceased SL and ASL had been yelling out orders that everyone should run out of the valley. Tobias had thought that it had been a mortar shell which had been caught in the wind which had created the rock slide but still had been hell.

During this mission they had been hounded by a squad of immortals it seemed. They had gone through two of their bomb traps, neutralized almost half of the squad whom had entered the compound and still been able to follow the rest of them. So either they were restless ghosts or immortal warriors grown in a special imperial lab.

Tobias had started to suspect that they were hunted by Ghost Squad even though the NR's records had told them that Ghost Squad had been eliminated at a earlier mission were there had been evidence to support that claim. But he had never met this kind of resolve in the VE before. The squad had made a short stop to catch their breath for a while.

“Okay squad we only need to climb another floor before we can reach the shield generators, plant the bombs and get the hell out of here. If we by any chance should meet any of these imperialist dogs that has been hunting us we will engulf them with the flames of rage” Tobias thought that sounded so very silly but it had the right effect and the remainder of the squad rose up and started to move out.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Lance Corporal Grahim Nass Sad
Trooper in RAIDERS Squad

The squad had just managed to use the bouncer to get up through the hole. Even Joamer had managed the jump. The squad didn't really know where in the compound they had bounced up. Grahim saw that it looked like a childcare of sorts. Grahim thoughts started to drift as he inspected a drawing which was clearly drawn by a child.

“Demsa tadpoles must have beensa lonely.” Grahim muttered to himself as he put the drawing down.

“Not tadpoles, it's called children.” The squads medic said. Grahim felt glad this was the first time in long Karash actually had spoken to him.

“Mesa was thinking about mesas tadpoles.” Grahim said.

“Your tadpoles.” Karash said with genuine surprise in his voice.

“Disa year mesa went to Naboo to meet mesas mother. Shesa paired mesa up with una woman to spend mesas life with but mesa told demsa dat mesa couldn't come back to Naboo anymore. Mesas mother told mesa dat disa woman also had problems with de gungans which ruled here but didn't dare to leave Naboo alone. So mesa said dat mesa would take her to Tadath and shesa could live with mesa and una went to duey and as wesa landed on Tadath shesa told mesa shesa thought mesa had fertilized her eggs. But now mesa isa not sure mesa isa going to survive to see mesas own tadpoles.” Grahim said with a slight tone of sadness in his voice.

“Well you she wasn't sure so don't expect anything and if she actually is pregnant and you don't want to keep this line of work you can always leave after this campaign.” Karash said.

“Enough chit-chat everyone. We need to move out and find these bastards.” Joamer yelled out. The squad gathered up and started to move. After they had walked for a while they noticed the stairs to the next level of the compound. Everyone realized that they taken the shortest way up and that not even the republic commandos couldn't have made it this far.

“We should make it up a level and barricade the stairs and ambush them and when they arrive we can shoot them down.” Mox said to the group. They all agreed that this was the best plan. When they reached the top of the stairs they saw piles of dinner plates. Not the regular ones made out of plastoid materials. No these were nice imported plates ceramic plates from planets on the outer rim.

“We should throw these plates at the bottom of the stairs so that we hear when they are approaching.” Sci suggested. Joamer nodded in agreement. They all took a pile each and started throwing them down the stairs. When the ceramic plates hit the floor they gave away a really satisfying sound that they all appreciated they even laughed as they threw plates down the stairs. Grahim didn't know if it actually was fun destroying things or if this was one of the few situations they could relax and get rid of some of all the seriousness that usually engulfed troopers on long assignments.
Grahim Nass Sad
RAIDERS Squad
TRP/LCP Grahim/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1REG/VEA/VE[AS-H][AoT][CDS][ESC09]

AS-1/LCP Grahim/STCA/VEA/VE
Kilroy
ComNet n00b

Kilroy

[VE-ARMY] Private

Post Number:  7
Total Posts:  120
June 2, 2011 7:29:22 PM    View the profile of Kilroy 
OOC:
Reinforcement squad sent to assist BlackJack Squad

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking.  We are currently 1 minute out from our destinat..." was all Kilroy heard before his own thoughts drowned out whatever the LAAT pilot was saying.  Currently, he was in the middle of a Pre-Combat Check (PCC) on his equipment, ensuring that each part was mission capable.  Rifle, check.  Armor, check.  Explosives, check.  Witty comment to say to Tanner and quite possibly the guys on the ground.  Check and double check.  Kilroy thought, placing a power cell into his E-11 to finish off his routine.  Looking over to Tanner, his combat buddy from basic, as well as one of the few that survived Drill Sergeant Dirge’s extensive training regime, he noticed that she too, was finishing with a PCC as well.

“Shame Pixy or Voodoo aren’t with us.”  He said, motioning towards the other members of Galm squad, the remnants of the 12 man, Blue squad that went in together back in their first sim-mission; the rest were either killed or wounded in the ensuing months afterwards.  “They would have loved to be with us on this mission, not cooped up in some hospital.”  In response, Tanner quietly nodded ahead, and with one hand, stuck up 3 fingers to show him that they were 30 seconds from the LZ.  Quietly putting his helmet on, Kilroy said a quick prayer for safety in battle, as well as that they all made it out alive.  Then nothingness was not, nor existence. There was no air then, nor heavens beyond it. Who covered it? Where was it? In whose keeping? Was there then cosmic water, in depths unfathomed?  Hey…I know just what to call the CO.

----------------------

“Fifteen seconds!”  Valthir heard over the ComNet, much to his relief and joy.  Ever since his call went out to Isen, Republic troops have slowly crawled closer to where his team was located.  For every foot that their enemy gained, Valthir and the others made sure that they paid dearly, often in blood or oil.  However, the Republic forces were both ruthless and relentless in their attacks, whittling down the three troopers cover as well as their ammo supplies.  “Hold steady boys, just 10 more seconds and the cavalry will be here!”  He yelled, grimacing at the fact that he was now down to his last power cell.    Come on Isen! We’re dying out here!

As if the universe itself answered to Valthir’s own private plea, the nearest Republic forces disappeared into large explosion as a gunship passed overhead, guns blazing the entire time.  With a sharp turn that reoriented the gunship back into the battered lines, Isen began to hound the Republic troops that escaped the initial onslaught with nearly everything that could fire from his ship before relenting.  Letting out a sigh of relief, Valthir waved over to the area where the LAAT that was about to land.  “You sure know how to make an entrance Isen!”  Within seconds, one six man squad hopped out from the transport, securing the recently cleared LZ while Val, Beta, and THX rushed onboard.  Sliding his back down on the comfortable insides of Isen’s craft, he noticed that two of the troopers, after restocking both THX and Beta’s supplies, motioned towards him.  “Yes? What do you want?”  “Galm squad reporting for duty and ready to serve, sir.  We’ve been assigned to assist you in any way possible.  Does that mean you are our new daddy now?” “Wha….No no I’m the ASL, You’ll meet him the SL soon enough.”  “I see, so you’re our new mommy?”  “Is he always such a wise-ass?”
TRN/PVT Kilroy/.SQD/.PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
[This message has been edited by Kilroy (edited June 2, 2011 7:33:58 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Kilroy (edited June 2, 2011 7:34:23 PM)]
Lightray
ComNet n00b

Lightray

Post Number:  17
Total Posts:  43
June 2, 2011 9:44:13 PM    View the profile of Lightray 
OOC:
Blackjack

“That’ll hold them, but not forever.” Lightray nodded in agreement, the Blackjacks wasting no time to cover as much ground as possible before the Republic troopers decided to get smart and blow the debris out of the way. Lightray couldn’t help but be enthusiastic about their success. The legendary Ghosts of Thyveck were living up to their reputation as unstoppable killing machines who left an ocean of blood wherever they went. It was this reputation that would contribute to keeping them alive.

Eh…maybe I’m a little too anxious for combat…

He began to contemplate whether or not his eager attitude for combat was beginning to become a little extreme. Sure, he’d already killed more people on Thyveck than he could count on his fingers and toes, but he had no choice. When it came down to being a soldier it was either you or the enemy. Lightray liked being alive, but he loved being a Stormtrooper. The rush of being in the heaviest combat the Empire had to offer gave him a reason to wake up. He was somebody important for once, and with each upcoming mission his importance hopefully would inrease.

“How many charges do we have left, boss?” Lightray asked. Running his hand across his belt there were only two grenades left. While it wasn’t much, they could still pack a punch if used right.

“My last one until we rendezvous with the rest of the squad.” Gates replied.

“I’ve got a mine left.” He pulled out the mine from the bag on his back and waited for his reply.

“Lightray set that mine up in the middle of the path. We need a distraction.” He nodded and carefully placed the mine in the center of the path, pressing a button in the middle of it and covering it with loose dirt. In the distance they could hear the occasional explosion coming from the Republic forces who were slowly blasting away the rubble.  It wasn’t a good sign, but it did give them an idea as to where they were. Several explosions later and the familiar sound of tanks and vehicles on the move put them on alert. With one satchel charge and a handful of grenades the Blackjacks would definitely have to improvise, especially with their air cover currently on the way to pick up the rest of the squad.

“Take cover, we’ve got company.” Garryll spat out amidst the increasing sound of vehicles approaching. Lightray kept his E45 close to his body, clinging onto it as if it was his lifeline. They approached closer and closer until finally everything came to a stop. The minesweepers had found the mine planted in the center of the passage and currently were working on disabling it.

“Throw a couple grenades and light them up a bit.” Lightray wasted no time in following through with Garryll's orders. He crouched low to the ground and pivoted from behind a tree, rolling a grenade towards the minesweepers. The explosion that followed sent shrapnel ripping into their bodies, and for those caught in the explosion, life as they knew it was over. Aether followed suit with a grenade of his own, lobbing it towards a group of troopers at the front of the formation.  Raising his E45 to his shoulder a careful burst of fire cut down the survivors that the grenade didn't kill.

Albeit damage to the vehicles was minimal, they still managed to demoralize their enemy even further. Guerrilla warfare wasn't always about fighting your enemy head-to-head. A series of small engagements was just as effective, even better than all out war in some points. The damage had been done and it was time for them to pull out before their armor pinpointed their position and blew them sky high.

“The fun was just started to begin, too” He muttered, rotating around and following Garryll in their retreat.

Private First Class Jo'ron "Lightray" Tallus, Elite Trooper of Blackjack Squadron.

ETRP/PVT Jo'ron Tallus/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LOR]
Heliwer117
ComNet Novice

Heliwer117

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  92
Total Posts:  467
June 2, 2011 10:34:55 PM    View the profile of Heliwer117 
OOC:
RAIDERS

The ceramic plates made a loud cracking noise, making Major Vaughn look up from a map of the complex. A veteran commando, he learned a lot of experience from his commanding officer, Colonel Darash Thraak, before the latter was dishonorably discharged for being too ruthless. Now, however, as the tide of the war was slowly turning towards the Vast Empire, Thraak was reinstated as a Colonel and put in charge of the Thyveck operation.

Everything had been taken into account for, even the previous defeats by the remainders of the Raiders, Blackjack, and Eclipse squads had been planned. This current assault would hopefully crush the last Imperial resistance on the planet, leaving the New Republic with a base to operate from, and a healthy stockpile of equipment that could be hidden in the smuggler hideouts all over the planet.

Vaughn was assigned to Sergeant Tobias Blixtskog’s squad as the veteran demolitions expert and as the squad’s radio man. Only he knew the codes that would send in reinforcements, or request extra supplies for the squad. He wasn’t really in charge until there was a fight. Then he would take command and using his unorthodox tactics would win the day.

As he looked up from the map to noticed that he had stepped on a plate, his fellow commandos stopped. They then saw the plates and very soon readied their weapons.

+===+

It had only been about five minutes since the plates were placed there to warn the Raiders about the commandos, and barricades were just now finishing up top. Joamer and Bright took the left side of the corridor, their position fairly well covered by a thick column and some boxes. Grahim, Karash, and Tviana took the right hand side, once again protected by a column and boxes. This left Heliwer, Mox, and Cayla in the middle, protected by what was left, which was not a lot. The Lance Corporal had his helmet knocked away by the blast from the motion sensor mine and couldn’t be bothered with finding it again. This only increased his resolve to make himself a big target, having gotten several explosives and wired them as grenades and managed to work his M-590 Assault Rifle into a mounted M-590; just the same as the rifle, just with a bipod mount that could be folded up.

+===+

It seemed like hours before the commandos cautiously up the stairs. Vaughn turned to Tobias and gave him a guttural growl. The Sergeant backed off immediately, intimidated by the Major’s ferocity. Vaughn then pulled out two M3 revolvers and gave a low whistle. The commandos all knew the signal and what it meant. Smoke grenades followed by a mad rush to get in close and personal, where hopefully they would achieve the upper hand. The Major turned to his men and took a deep breath. “Just so you know,” He said aloud. “My name’s Adjucous Vaughn. Major, Adjucous Vaughn.”

With that, the first smoke grenades went flying.

+===+

Brightstar felt Joamer’s hand on her shoulder as the grenades deployed their thick, black smoke. “Hold on everyone!” She yelled. “Don’t shoot till you hear them come up the stairs!”

Heliwer was in a mixed state. He had overheard Major Vaughn, hell, the entire squad did. There was something about the name that made him pause. I’ve heard that name before… He thought. But… It can’t be… Can it?

He got his answer as Vaught uttered forth a loud whooping howl from the exhausted but still deadly commandos, his own low and threatening howl permeating through the fog. The trooper snarled as the realization hit him. He let out his own cry that made even Joamer and Brightstar jump, as they had not expected it. “VAUGHN! YOU BASTARD! PREPARE TO DIE, CHUBA DOOMPA, DOPA-MASKEY KUNG!” He yelled back, making the mentioned commando smirk with perverted glee.

The battle had begun in the noise of wild animals. It would continue with more animalistic sounds as the commandos easily over ran the cover, turning the fight into a brawl. Heliwer’s kind of fight.

Mox, closest to the right hand side, fought alongside the Gungan, the two wounded managing to barely hold off a pair of commandos. Karash was toe to toe with one commando who appeared to be about intimidation, with a big knife in one hand and a blood red bandana around his head, his mouth making a sort of smile you would find on a rancor.

Joamer and Bright had the challenge of Sergeant Blixtskog, who was lightning fast, making several attacks on the pair before pulling back to dodge punches and jabs. The Raiders squad leader lost his magnum to the ground during the struggle, and started to feel his condition really hurting him. It only got worse when three more commandos, looking fresh, came up. The Republic squad had ten men total to the Raider’s eight, not really bad odds, but with the latter suffering injuries that hampered their fighting ability.

Heliwer and Cayla went after Major Vaughn and two other commandos. The Lance Corporal hand landed several punches on the Major before being knocked over by a haymaker. Cayla, on the other hand, had some help as Tviana came out of nowhere and took on one commando, leaving the odds hopefully in Cayla’s favor.

Minutes came and went, and the battle seemed to be in the Raider’s favor. Mox and Grahim turned out ok, having dealt with their pair before teaming with Karash to take care of the new three, while Joamer managed to get his magnum when the sergeant knocked him to the ground. The squad leader took careful aim and blew a hole in the Republic commando’s torso, his lifeless body falling over. He then collapsed as he felt very faint and was about to pass out. Brightstar helped him sit down and made sure that no one came close to them while he rested for a little bit. Cayla and Tviana were a long way from winning their duels, but they were close. This left only the major and the lance corporal.

“Nagoola, kark.” Adjucous laughed as his next blow hit Heliwer in his solar plexus. The big man took the punch hard, his ribs already bruised from the motion sensor mine, but he didn’t fall over.

“You have a lot to learn, coo ya maya stupa.” He spat in return, crimson blood dripping from his mouth where he had been punched and kicked repeatedly. The coppery taste was familiar and welcomed. As Vaughn lined up a punch,  Heliwer cut loose. He went and grabbed the punch out of mid-air, and then twisted the arm, popping it out of the shoulder socket.

“Yes, Yes! More!” Came the perverse cries of the major. Heliwer was all too happy to oblige, stomping the poor man’s knee and making his leg bow outward emitting a cry of pain from him. This was followed by Heliwer’s hands twisting him around and ready to snap his neck.

“Come on, Heliwer.” Came the faint voice of the soon to be dead man. “Finish me off.”
TRP/PFC Heliwer/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
[ES1]
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

Post Number:  584
June 2, 2011 11:22:19 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
Looking around Joamer took stock of the situation. His squad was injured bad now. The attack had not gone as well as planned in the slightest, they were ill prepared for a close combat situation.

Standing up with the help of Bright he fired one shot from his Particle Magnum. The distinctive sound caused the fight between Heliwer and the major to stop abrubtly.

"Heliwer, let the major go." Joamer said softly, as his squad picked themselves up. He noticed everyone was bleeding in one place or another. Most everyone was limping to add to the already growing pile of issues they had.

Seeing Heliwer not answer him, he took matters into his own hands. Walking up to the couple he grabbed Heliwer by the neck and tossed him away. With his other hand he slammed the major into the nearby wall. The required effort caused pain to shoot behind his eye-sockets and he groaned loudly. He really needed to remember to stop asserting himself so much, it was worsening his condition.

Closing his eyes he breathed slowly for several long minutes. Hearing movement he pointed his magnum at the Major and said slowly. "Look, I don't know what stories about me you've heard. What I can tell you right now is I have a massive headache, but I can still shoot straight. Now stay still or you will die, even though I may kill you out of spite for what you've caused me." He heard the man chuckle once and go silent.

"We should secure his hands." Mox said as he squatted down over a wounded Grahim. He looked over at Karash as the medic began a quick survey of the damage, luckily no one seemed very badly injured. The blood just made it seem that way.

Looking at the bodies on the floor, after a moment he squinted and cursed. "How many came up here." He asked the major without looking at him. He knew the answer, but wanted to see what type of game the man wanted to play.

"Ten men in total." The major said slowly as he slowly shook his head. Sitting down slowly he placed his hands in plan view on his knees. "Damn, being thrown against a wall by cybernetics hurt. Want to secure my hands now." The man looked up at Joamer, he could read the challenge in his eyes plainly. Games it is then. Joamer thought to himself.

"I feel much safer knowing I can see your hands." Looking around Joamer counted the bodies and barely kept himself from swearing again. He only counted six, which meant three of the bloody men were missing. "Three of our friends are missing." Joamer said to his squad.

Those few words got everyone moving faster suddenly. Bright grabbed her datapad and pulled up a map of the area, scrunching her forehead in thought she finally said "There is another path to the generators, it's a long one though. We have a decent fifteen minutes."

Joamer thought about it for a minute before he said "Major, will your squad complete the mission without you. Or do they think you are dead and won't come to avenge you till the shields are down?"

He heard the major breath take in one deep breath but not respond. Only stare straight ahead and ignore the squad. He knew the time of freely given questions and answers were over. Kneeling down in front of the major he pressed his Magnum to the man's left leg, after a moment he said softly "Look, I'm not good at this whole interrogation thing. All the subtlety of it eludes me. So, I'm just going to do this."

Squeezing the trigger brought a moments confusion. Smoke suddenly filled the room as the major let out a guttural scream. He felt shadows moving around him but dared not fire in risking hitting his own troopers. He reached out to grab at the major but found only empty air.

"Someone stop him!" Joamer shouted into the smoke, a moment later it began to clear. He first made out Bright kneeling down next to a wall. Her pistol in her hands trying to clear her vision. The rest of the squad following slowly after.

"Did anyone see anything?" Bright asked as everyone got situated again. One by one everyone shook their heads in the negative. Looking over at Joamer as he stood up she said "I guess you got your answer."

"Alright everyone, they have to go around to get to the generators. At most we have four of them left. Which no doubt means it will be a very interesting fight. Let's double time it there, set up some very nice traps for them, then lie in hiding till they show up." Joamer said as he looked at the pad Bright held up for him.

"Mox, Hel. Take point, go down three intersections and turn left. Generator room is directly ahead of there." Bright said.

Nodding in agreement the two men turned around and began jogging down the corridor. The rest of the squad following closely behind. Joamer doubted he would be seeing the major again, not with half a foot missing.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

[ES1]x2 [EW1]x2 [EW2] [LoR] [BoH] [AS-H] [AS-1] [AS-2] [AS-3] [SCA] [DoH-P] [BC] [RoT] [KAD] [AoT] [ESC09] {RES} (5.1) (6.1)
Garryll Gates
ComNet Expert

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1564
Total Posts:  2159
June 3, 2011 1:34:39 PM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
Gates rolled over a fallen tree trunk, the two troopers beside him also hurdling over the short obstacle. The Republic forces were still pursuing, but they’d gained a little ground on them. Gates was glad this mission hadn’t been assigned within hours of the battle on the plains - those three days of rest had done the squad worlds of good, and he was sure they’d have collapsed from exhaustion if they’d been forced to fight with no rest.

The comm crackled in his ear as he activated it again, taunting him with its lack of ability to summon air cover and crush the enemies that stood against them, and finish this fight. Gates closed the link again, and peeked over the edge of the log that was serving as their cover for the moment.

A tank was edging its way around the corner, but it hadn’t seen them yet. Infantry guarded its flanks, and their heads swiveled constantly, searching for the Blackjacks that had hurt them so badly.

“Fall back,” Gates whispered into the comlink again. As they stood, this wasn’t a good place for fighting right now. Each of the Stormtroopers crawled back a few feet, staying out of sight for as long as possible, then scrambled back to their feet and jogged deeper into the valley. As they ran, Gates brought up the valley’s map, and tracked their current location.

About a kilometer up the valley, there was an interesting labyrinth of underpasses, walls, and a confusing mess of streams and paths. It was perfect for guerrilla attacks. All that was needed was a way to convince the enemy commander that his best option was to split up. It wouldn’t be difficult, with the man’s apparent haste justifying wasting precious ammunition on clearing yet another blockage.

The rumbling, clanking sound of tank treads cruising over dirt and rocks became fainter as they moved away at speed, but never disappeared. Gates was glad that the Republic forces were so wary of another explosives attack or general blaster fire from the Blackjacks.

They moved down the valley again, guns tight across their chest. The comm crackled in his ear, and Gates found a reason to be optimistic about his situation even more.

“Gates? Isen here!” the pilot’s voice crackled. “I’ve picked up your troopers, and am en route to your position right now!”

“Good!” Gates responded. “Hurry it up! We’re almost out of bombs, and I don’t like my chances going fisticuffs with a fifty-ton tank.”

“Roger that. We’re moving towards your position right now,” Isen said. The thudding of an LAAT’s engines could be heard over the link.

“Negative. Pull to co-ordinates fifteen points north of my current position. We’ll be there very soon, and I’ve got an idea for sinking the rest of the Republic formation, one bit at a time,” Gates responded.

Sergeant Daan wasn’t going to be surprised again, he was sure of it. The dismounted infantry made the column travel slowly, but he figured, it was better to get to the objective a little later than hoped than never get there at all.

“Do you hear that, sir?” asked one of the troopers who was walking next to his slowly-moving APC.

“What?” Daan asked, pulling one large headphone off of his ear. The commander’s radio gear was awkward and made it very hard to hear anything that wasn’t chatter on the comm channels. “What is it?”

“It sounds like...a dropship?” the trooper, a mere PFC, said, confused. “There’s no dropships in this area.”

“No, but there is a gunship-!” Daan said, his heart jumping into his throat. He still had a couple hundred men, but they were strung out and vulnerable and didn’t have any AA guns left. Daan brought up the poor-quality maps that had been left after Lieutenant Birch’s command tank had exploded, taking all of their good hard copies with it

His maps were of incredibly poor quality, barely better than hand-drawn copies of the area by civilians sympathetic to the Republic cause. However poor, it still seemed to indicate that there was some sort of formation only a kilometer and a half in front of them.

“Load up!” he yelled into his comlink, to all friendly channels. “Load up! We’ve got to get moving!”

They were crouched in the open area leading into the labyrinth, eyes and rifles aimed down the valley towards the turn in the valley where the Republic forces ground closer. As they sat anxiously, the sounds of the advancing formation increased, as they got closer to the Blackjacks’ position.

At least they could also hear the sounds of the LAAT incoming, and it promised relief, backup, and superior firepower. They only had to hope it got to them before the Republic formation did.
Elite Squad Leader of Blackjack Squad
Acolyte of the Dark Jedi Order

ESL/2LTGarryll Gates/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE [RoM][ICE] [IH] [CCA] [BC] [SRP] [AS-1] [ES1] [CoS] [EW1] {RESx3} [ESC09] [RoTx2] [CRoS] [AoT] [CoZ][CoDS]

TRN/AD Gates/Lopen/VEDJ

For Tadath, for the Empire.
Raziel
ComNet Sultan

Raziel

[VE-ARMY] Lieutenant Colonel
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Champion
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1976
Total Posts:  2873
June 3, 2011 3:00:29 PM    View the profile of Raziel 
The Fall Of Thyveck

"Bastion cannot be held under these circumstances." Raziel reaffirmed in the war room. "Once the outer wall is breached it is only a matter of time before the fortress falls."

"Thyveck cannot be occupied by The Republic, this close to the lanes leading to our front we simply ..." The stubborn Governor reaffirmed before being interrupted.

"I know that, the fortress and the orbital stations would be too much of a danger." Raziel replied, holding up a hand to silence the older man. The highest ranking officers present on world were sat around a wide table. In the middle a holographic image represented the battle for the fortress.

Just two miles from the city, well beyond its shields, the main Republic force waited. Tendrils extended forwards from this group representing the soldiers making a testing assault on the walls. To the east the Republic force was held at least, Raziel predicted that as soon as they made it to the mouth of the valley the full attack would begin. That was if the shields held until then.

"We will get the turrets active again."

"The engineering estimate was eight hours." Raziel said, shaking his head.

"Damnit what do you want me to do?" The Governor shouted, his face turning an angry red.

"Thyveck Bastion must be sabotaged. The Navy have already agreed to dismantle and remove to orbital stations. We have to render the structure comprimised and the shields and weapons inactive."

"I will not give up my world . . ."

"It was never your world Governor. The situation is a mess, you were supposed to hold the fort not start pissing off the locals. I'm in charge here now, I suggest you go to your quarters." Raziel stood over the man, just a hint of malice in his voice enough to cowe the incompetant old man. Raziel noticed the hint of a smile threaten to break out on Havock's face. The Governor had been quite upset when she had been allowed back into the chain of command.

Raziel waited until the commander had been escorted from the room before issuing final orders.
OOC:

Thyveck Bastion must be rendered inoperable. Engineers will start dismantling the base's systems immediately. As soon either the commandos take out the shields or the eastern force arrives the full attack will begin. In the former case expect a heavy artillery barge, in the latter a huge mixed forces rush as the move within the base's shields. (Imagine gungan shields in EPI)

Hold the outer wall as long as possible, but fall back to the next level when necessary. Once the work is done lay down arms and surrender.

One squad must undertake the riskiest mission. You must go into the foundations beneath the city and protect engineers as they plant charges. These explosions will be enough to leave the fortress structurally compromised, it will not collapse, but will be useless as a military base. The chance of survival is slim as the lower level will likely be taken by NR forces by the time the work is done. If you cannot break out you will die in the explosions.

Let's bring this campaign to an end.
LTC/Raziel/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/(WoS1)(VP1)(VP2)(SC) [BoA][EW1][CDS][IH][GC][RoT][IG][SoS][GroM][PoC][CoH]
ARC Commander: Alpha, Beta Squads

"God does not play dice with the universe" - Albert Einstein
"Who are you to tell God what to do with his dice?" - Bohr
"God does not play dice with the universe. He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." - Terry Pratchett
CM/DJK Raziel/lion 1-5/Krath/VEDJ/VE (WoS1) (VP1) (VP2)
Skarr
ComNet Member

Skarr

[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  564
Total Posts:  2102
June 3, 2011 6:25:39 PM    View the profile of Skarr 
OOC:
ECLIPSE

The squad leader of Eclipse could not help but let his jaw drop. The orders had just come down. The Vast Empire was sabotaging Bastion. Thyveck was being let go. It stunned Skarr down to his core. He did not think they would be running. The Vast Empire was so strong. And Thyveck was a hyper lane away from the Vast Empire’s front lines. It was not smart. Skarr thumbed the comm back on.

“Orders, sir?” Skarr sighed into the comm.

Raziel answered, “Hold the wall like you’ve been doing. If you have to retreat, do so. But only a level at a time. I’m going to be honest with you, you’re only there to stall them.” Skarr nodded despite the fact that Raziel could not see it. The comm snapped off. The squad leader looked around.

The siege towers were still being constructed. The infiltrators were still attacking. And the Republic force had not arrived yet. That still left time for Skarr to prepare. His mind worked at plans. The infiltrators would have to be dealt with. Anival and Thengil had a good plan for that. After that, the combat engineers still in the garrison would work on what defenses they could. Skarr would have to go old school like the siege towers. Bulwarks, trenches, spikes. Quite frankly, Skarr knew they could do it. They could hold the line long enough.

He shifted his grip on his blaster and looked to the rest of his squad. They did not know the orders that he had just received. He would tell them as soon as he could. But the infiltrators would be dealt with first. Let the squad keep their mind on the task at hand. As he stood there, the snipers were gathering in their positions to ambush the infiltrators. Anival had given them places to wait. The Senior Sergeant had been doing very well for himself. His experience was much needed. Much of Eclipse was newer troops, but that did not stop them from being excellent soldiers.

All that could be done was wait for the siege towers to be finished. And hope that the infiltrators would soon leave, or die. It was killing him to wait. Skarr studied the siege towers and grimaced.

“Anival!” Skarr called.

“Yes, sir?”  the Senior Sergeant answered.

“Do these towers have to be too tall? Is that an acceptable height?” Skarr asked, waving to the unfinished siege towers.

“I think we can put the finishing touches on them.” With the last statement, Anival began ordering the engineers to finish the towers. Skarr turned back to the rest of Eclipse.

“Treble! Taran!” Form up on me. We’re taking these frakking infiltrators out!” Skarr ordered. The two soldiers rose from their positions to stand by Skarr. He knew his squad could handle what was to come. They would kill the infiltrators and hold the army coming their way. Despite odds, Skarr had survived situations like this before. And his squad could too. He would ensure that.

Anival stalked up to Skarr, “A few minutes and the towers will be complete.”

“Good, good.” Skarr answered, “Now let’s hope this plan works.”
OOC:
Plans are simple. Get rid of the infiltrators, wait for the huge army to come to us, hold them off as best as we can. Let's hop to it guys!
SL|CoT:A/SFC Skarr/1SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE [CDS] [ES2] {RES} (3.1)
Norith Skarr
Sergeant First Class, Vast Imperial Army
Commander of Training Assistant
Squad Leader of Eclipse

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't" General George Patton
Valthir
ComNet Cadet

Valthir

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Privateer
[VE-VEEC] Editor

Post Number:  237
Total Posts:  681
June 3, 2011 8:49:15 PM    View the profile of Valthir 
OOC:
Forgot to clarify that this is finishing up Blackjack's previous objectives.

The LAAT had barely lifted off the ground and cleared the top of the pass. Valthir paced in the hold, while the other troopers either leaned against the walls or sat. He had been hearing various comm chatter from the other fireteam. It wasn’t looking good.

“Come on, Isen. They’re going to be overrun any moment now.” Valthir shouted into the comms, his frustration getting the best of him.

He started to continue, but checked himself.

Calm down. No use in yelling at the guy. He’s doing his best.

Isen mirrored his thoughts, “I’d appreciate if you lower your voice. Blowing out my eardrums isn’t going to get you there any faster.”

“My apologies. No harm intended.” he said quietly, feeling foolish.

“No harm done.” came the terse reply.

Great. Now I’ve pissed off the pilot.

He slowed his increased breath, trying to bleed off some of the excess emotions. As he did so, he monitored various displays on his HUD. He wasn’t quite used to the view inside of the helmet as it had been many months since he had even had something of the sort. It wasn’t overwhelming, but it was definitely new. Making a mental note to explore it later, he noticed a small feed in the lower corner of his screen. Experimenting with it, he managed to make it larger.

It was an aerial view and showed rocky ridges that abruptly disappeared, giving way to the pass. Valthir realized he had patched into a video feed provided by the LAAT.

This . . . is pretty helpful.

In the distance, he saw a mass of moving blobs, that slowly grew into the rest of the Republic troops. The majority of the force was infantry, with a good bit of tanks thrown in the mix. They were heading at a steady pace towards the end of the pass. Valthir frowned for a second, wondering how they were going to make it through what seemed to be a massive wall. Then, as they drew closer, he saw an opening at the bottom of the cliff face that stretched from one end to the other. He did a quick measurement, and determined that it would just barely be able to hold the tanks. They closed the gap even more and he noticed some splotches against the ground at the cliff face. Familiar looking splotches.

Valthir opened a channel to his squad leader, “Garryll. Where are you?”

A pause, then, “We’re at the base of a cliff. It opens up into a labyrinth, which we plan to lure the Republic force into. Then, we tear them apart, guerrilla-style. I highly suggest hurrying. The Republic troops have nearly reached us and Isen won’t be able to land.”

“Right. Umm. I doubt we’ll be able to land there by the time we reach you,” he racked his brain for a plan as he scrutinized the landscape below, “but I do have a plan. Follow our lead.”

The LAAT began to slow as they approached the Republic force.

“This is going to be close, very close. I’m not going to be able to fully land, so you guys are going to have to bang out quickly. We’ll be over the Republic troops in a few moments, so get read-”

“No, Isen! Land here, land!” Valthir shouted, an idea hitting him at that exact moment.

“What? But-”

“Just land! Now!” Valthir began again, stumbling as Isen immediately obeyed, “After we bang out, take out the tanks. Their flank is unprotected, so we’ll catch them by surprise.”

Isen caught on quick, “Bingo. Good job. Alright, get ready. They know we are coming, but not that we’re right behind them. Gotta do this quick. Three,” the bay doors began to open, “Two,” the various troopers positioned themselves on the edge as Isen dropped through the atmosphere, “One, go, go, go!”

The LAAT shook as it abruptly stopped. Letting the momentum catch him, Valthir slipped off the side and hit the ground, rolling to lessen the shock. A second later, Isen took off, letting loose a quick barrage that took out a few tanks and numerous troops.

“We’re flanking them. Garryll, keep up the pressure on the front!” Valthir yelled over the open comms, taking cover in a conveniently placed dip in the ground as Garryll clicked an affirmative.

Blackjack spread out across the pass as they took cover in, behind, and under various places. Then they opened fire, taking out the back troopers in quick succession. Isen came by for another pass, eliminating the rest of the tanks and good bit of the troopers.

“Keep it up, Blackjack! We’re close, too close to let this slip away.” Garryll said, echoed by a encouraging shout from Valthir.

Methodically, the Republic troops were eliminated, caught between a rock and a hard place with hellfire and brimstone raining down on them. Valthir almost pitied them.

Almost.

------------

The rusty red fields lay still, the former colors forgotten in the aftermath of such a bloodbath. The ground squished as Valthir trekked across it, stepping over bodies as he raised puddles of red wherever his boots touched. The mud clung to their boots as they made their way to where Garryll, Lightray, and Aether were waiting alongside LAAT. Isen had parked the LAAT near the cliff face where the ground was firm and untouched by the mass of blood.

“Good plan. I’m glad to see that you three are alive.” Garryll remarked as Valthir approached.

Nodding, he neglected to answer until he had closed the distance to a few feet. Unclasping his helmet, he lifted it off and placed it under his arm. He breathed deep for a moment, taking in the metallic air. The smell of blood was everywhere.

“Thanks. We had some help from an extra squad of troopers that Isen brought along.” Valthir said, inclining his head in the pilot’s direction.

Taking the cue, he answered, “Command figured you guys may possibly need a hand. Even as good as you are, the odds were admittedly against you on this one. I’m happy to have helped.”

Garryll nodded, his face hidden behind his visor, “And we’re glad to have had you. Now, we need to get back to the Bastion, in case we’re needed again.”

Replacing his helmet, he followed Garryll into the waiting LAAT, where it seems all of the other troopers had already been waiting.

Frak. Why am I always the last one aboard?
Valthir
Journeyman of the Dark Jedi Order
Privateer of the Osk Company
Assistant Squad Leader of Blackjack Squad

ASL/SGT Valthir/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE
TRN/JRN Valthir/Lopen/DJO/VE
[This message has been edited by Valthir (edited June 3, 2011 8:49:42 PM)]
Garryll Gates
ComNet Expert

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1565
June 3, 2011 10:56:21 PM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
Blackjack climbed into the LAAT, their armor’s boots stained as red as the paint that was their mark of the Elite of Phoenix.

An entire formation of Republic forces - they were all dead. Hundreds of men, dozens of tanks. All were now burning or bleeding wrecks, strung out along the valley, their blood and oil watering the soil of this death-filled landmark.

Gates looked out of the door of the gunship as its engines spun up. The last bits of the enemy formation were sitting there - shattered tanks, slaughtered men; a smashed army. Blackjack had killed the entire formation.

The gunship lifted off. The Blackjacks eyed their backup squad warily. Gates ran an eye over the six men - armor polished white, SCOPE, but without the already-acquired dings, scrapes and stains of the Blackjacks’ armor.

The comm in Gates’ ear crackled. Gates blinked at it as it pulsed at the side of his HUD, and the frequency opened. “Gates here.”

“Garryll. Have you achieved your objective?” Havock’s voice crackled in his ear.

“Yeah, Hav. We got ‘em. The entire goddamn formation is dusted,” Gates said, the hit of pride at his squad’s achievement barely distinguishable.

“Good, good. We need you back at Bastion Defense ASAP,” the Company Commander’s voice crackled over the link. “We still have a commando or two in the Bastion and there’s heavy fighting going on on the outer walls. Fortunately, the shields are still holding at the moment, and if you’ve taken care of the flanking force, we’re in good shape still.”

“So should we deploy to help with the commando-hunting?” Gates asked. He didn’t relish going against some of the Republic’s hard-bitten soldiers.

“No need - I’m sure Raiders squad has the situation under control, and they’re deep within the base right now. You wouldn’t be able to arrive in time to help, anyway,” Havock replied.

Gates shrugged. “Roger. We’ll be deploying to the walls, then?”

“Yeah. The wall’s defenses need more veteran soldiers to hold the line, and you and your squad fit the bill.”

“Got it. We’ll be there in five minutes, tops. Gates out.”

Gates added the backup squad’s tac-tags to his HUD. “We’re going to be deployed immediately upon landing, so get ready. This is going to be a major battle we’re walking into, but we must help hold the walls at all cost. Our ETA is five minutes. Make sure you’re ready by then.”

Bastion Defense appeared in view as the LAAT soared towards the massive fort. Gates stared at it with distaste. He’d read the After-Action reports on the initial assaults on this world; this massive city-fort was the only reason Imperial forces still held this world, and its commanders had caused Phoenix Company massive headaches.

And now, they were the ones who would be entrusted with its defense against the Republic’s massive attack forces.

Only its shield deflectors were holding off the Republic assault , but the Republic commanders had attempted to solve that with their trusted soldiers of choice - their elite commandos. Raiders were hunting - or being hunted, Gates had no idea - the commandos whose mission it was. If they could prevent the Republic commandos from completing their mission, then the Bastion could hold out until more reinforcements showed up to saved the day.

If they couldn’t, though, this battle would get ugly. Massive Republic forces were lined up, waiting for their orders to attack. Gates knew that there were only a few dozen of the Imperial’s elite - fewer than one hundred Stormtroopers, backing up Imperial army forces serving as the Bastion’s garrison. The numbers were not in favor of the Imperial army, in other words.

The LAAT hovered at the apex of the shield, several hundred feet in the air. The Bastion Defense shield generator was an intricate deflector shield that bubbled over the entire fort, and was sophisticated enough to be lowered in certain areas.

“Phoenix LAAT Alpha-1 requesting location Omega shield deflector be lowered for five seconds. Clearance Dog, Harrier, Nine-Five Vent,” Isen’s voice crackled over the comlink.

“Clearance accepted. Lowering Shield Omega for ten seconds.”

Below the gunship, the shield flickered out of existence in a fifty-square foot area. Isen dropped the LAAT down like a rock. Gates’ stomach rose into his throat, but he simply gripped the drop-bar tighter and gritted his teeth.

The shield materialized again a few seconds later, but by then, Isen was already dropping the LAAT into a dive towards the outer walls. A minute of flight had them idling by the edge of the outer wall, the open door and LAAT passenger bay only a few inches away from it.

“Good flying, Isen,” Gates said. “Out! Go, go go!”

The Blackjacks and the squad that was to back them up piled out of the ship, ready to rumble.

“Blackjack has arrived. Who here is in command?” Gates barked into the command channel.

“Eclipse squad has been holding the walls several hundred meters to your east,” said a man in response. “They’re taking out a group of infiltrators at the moment.”

“Do they need support?” Gates asked.

“Uh, no sir. They’ve got a plan to finish them up. Our forces are weak right where you are. Can you hold your position there?” asked the man.

“Roger. Blackjack digging in.”

ESL/2LTGarryll Gates/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE [RoM][ICE] [IH] [CCA] [BC] [SRP] [AS-1] [ES1] [CoS] [EW1] {RESx3} [ESC09] [RoTx2] [CRoS] [AoT] [CoZ][CoDS]

TRN/AD Gates/Lopen/VEDJ

[This message has been edited by Garryll Gates (edited June 3, 2011 11:34:04 PM)]
Brightstar
ComNet Member

Brightstar

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  534
Total Posts:  710
June 4, 2011 12:39:35 AM    View the profile of Brightstar 
The winding corridors were blissfully free of any traps. The three remaining commandos had forgone that task in order to put as much distance between the RAIDERS as possible and as fast as possible. They could not afford the time it would take to leave little surprises for their pursuers.

"Never thought they'd put up such a fight." One of the commandos said in a heavy accent. His left shoulder ached where one of the RAIDERS troopers had slammed him into a wall. He had to grudgingly respect them. When you backed them into a wall they fought back hard.

"Shut up and do your job, Fist." One of the others said. He agreed though, but could not say it. Part of him wished that squad had been a push over, then six of his friends would not be dead right now.

"Where did the Major go anyways?" The third asked as they doubled timed it to the generator room.

"I don't know, after that tall insane man blasted off most of his foot he ran for it. Can't say as I blame him, there leader is beyond crazy."

The generator room loomed ahead of them, the three men grinned and picked up the pace. Their task was nearly complete. If it all worked out they could blow the generators and join the rest of the New Republic forces in the final beat down of the Imperial dogs. That was unless the RAIDERS showed up. If that happened all three of them knew they would be in serious trouble.

=============================

Bright was bringing up the rear, as the squad made their way down the hallway to the generator room. More or less what she found herself doing was helping up the rest of the squad when they stumbled or tripped.

Somehow she was the least injured out of everyone, her main concern was for Joamer. He was hiding just how much pain he was in, but they both knew if he died the squad would not stay together. She could lead it, but he held them here somehow. She knew they were all exhausted, they were now pushing themselves far beyond what their bodies could safely handle. They continued forward out of pure force of will and they were driven by the motto that drove all Raiders. "Faithful til the end."

“The generators are just around the next intersection.” Bright said bending to help Sciuridae up from stumbling. The ASL was impressed with the girl's stamina.

After the attack by the commandos the squad came out more or less better off. A few new scars to add to the collection, but no series injuries which was beyond what any of them could hope for.

The squad ran into the generator room, knowing they had a good seven minutes before the surviving commandos showed up. What they did not exist was seeing three individuals kneeling next to one of the generators with an open service hatch sitting beside them.

Bright noticed time seem to freeze as everyone stopped moving. She could see individual dust particles in the air, hear Joamer wheezing as he breathed, even count her heart beats. Her hand seemed to be bringing up her rifle so slowly.

Squeezing the trigger seemed to take a life time, but as she did she suddenly found herself pushed into the side wall. Her head smacked against it hard, blurring her vision for a moment. When she came too the squad had separated, the commandos had skidded behind the generators and begun firing.

Everyone was screaming as they nearly fired blindly. Adrenalin was coursing through everyone's veins as they fired over and over again. She was not sure who tossed the first grenade, but when it exploded all sanity left the room in an instant.

Suddenly, if she had to count now, ten grenades were flying in the air. Somehow the grenades landing on the RAIDERS side had been thrown back behind the commandos location.

"Oh gods. Everyone out!" Bright shouted as she grabbed Tviana and tossed her out the door before jumping out herself. It seemed to take a lifetime before the rest of the squad followed her out.

None of them stopped as they ran down the corridors trying to escape. The blast wave hit them a few moments later. It knocked everyone to the ground as the building shook. Starring up at the ceiling Bright barely managed to say "I think we just failed our objective."

Shaking his head Joamer said slowly "No, I saw the plaque on the door. That room controlled the cities shields, not the orbital ones."

"Oh, well then it's perfectly alright then." Bright said as she leaned back. She was in too much pain to move anything right now.

OOC:
RAIDERS objective complete. Orbital shields are still up but the city shields are down.
ASL/GSG Brightstar D'Jonoc/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1REG/VEA/VE[SRP][SCA][AS-2][ES1][ES1]{RES}[EW2]

"For your sake, I really hope that isn't a challenge."

[This message has been edited by Brightstar (edited June 4, 2011 12:43:39 AM)]
Taran
ComNet Novice

Taran

Post Number:  77
Total Posts:  80
June 4, 2011 1:00:37 AM    View the profile of Taran 
OOC:
Eclipse

"You ever get scared in these kinds of situations?" Taran asked lightly to Skarr, who planted his back to the nearest wall.

"I've learned to avoid those kinds of feelings, Taran." Skarr answered with a nonchalant tone. "What it comes down to out here... is how much better you are than your enemy. As you can see, I'm still alive."

Taran half-chuckled under his breath and slammed a fresh magazine into his sniper rifle. Eclipse had been ordered to hold the base until impracticality would force them into the inner layers of Bastion, but first and foremost came the ever-present problem with the infiltrators. Anival had positioned plenty of snipers along the wall, evenly spaced to avoid any isolation or suppressing fire. The fake snipers on the roof would sure to attract some fire as well. Of course, there was still the issue of the numbers yet to be found out, but at this point, it didn't really matter anymore. Anything that kept the infiltrators from weakening their hold on the current layer was beneficial. Skarr took up what one could call the middle of the wall with Treble and Taran on each side.

A crackle of the comms came in throughout the entire squad's channel. It was Anival.

"Siege towers are up and completed." He quickly stated.

"Good. Now activate the false snipers in ten." Skarr coordinated, looking upon the hastily made structures. He then turned to the three troopers to his sides.

"Remember, as soon as you pop your head out, you may be fired upon." Skarr warned the two troopers, who nodded in unison. "Hopefully our sniper teams Anival has placed will get a fix on their position and take them out. Don't try to take any shots yourself, understand?"

Both Taran and Treble acknowledged the order and fidgeted behind their respective cover. The tension could be felt in the ground, which shook slightly to everyone's attention. Skarr knew what it was.

"Over!" Skarr shouted to the air and the three Eclipse troopers quickly stood for a moment then fell back down while the whiz of blaster fire went over their heads into the siege tower placements.

Skarr gathered his composure for a nonexistent moment and checked the snipers who were positioned along the wall. Their sights were trained but didn't seem to be firing in response.

"C'mon, tell me we have a lock on them, guys!!" Skarr yelled, irritated. As soon as he muttered the last word, each sniper let loose a volley of fire across the terrain in a deafening combination of righteous fury. Skarr paused for a moment to let the shockwaves and cacophony settle. Much to his delight, none of them made another shot. It seemed as if every bullet had hit a target.

"Clear!" The ranking sniper sounded, followed by the echo of the remaining team, who had already began to pat themselves on the back. It was to be a short celebration.

"Well, that was quick." Taran added in disbelief, patting the dust and dirt off of his legs.

Skarr stood up slowly and surveyed the sprawling land before Bastion. A few streams of smoke rose from the ground, most likely where the bullets had hit their target. The all-clear must have been true as well, for he was completely open for a bullet, but none came. He squinted slightly at the horizon, and scowled in disgust. Taran noticed his gaze and stood next to him, trying to follow his line of sight.

"What is it, sir?" Taran asked curiously.

"We've got incoming." Skarr replied angrily and trotted off to warn the other soldiers. Taran looked out into the battlefield, where the sun had begun to lower over the smoking remains of Bastion's surrounding flatlands. A flood of Republic soldiers came bounding over the dead bodies of their own, pouring into plain view. There had to be thousands, if not more.

"Oh."
"Serenity is knowing that your worst shot is still pretty good." - Johnny Miller

TRP/PFC Taran/1SQD/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE

Taranis "Taran" Crasthian

[This message has been edited by Taran (edited June 4, 2011 1:10:28 AM)]
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

Post Number:  587
June 4, 2011 1:15:17 AM    View the profile of Joamer 
He was not sure how long he laid on the floor starring peacefully at the ceiling. For the first time in six months he felt at peace, he knew their job was finally over. They could go home now, and deserve a nice vacation.

No one in the squad had moved after the explosion, they were all too worn out to do anything. No one was hurt, and he doubted the commandos had survived. They had barely made it out themselves, and they were right at the door. He needed a nice long vacation, he was getting way too old for this.

He closed his eyes slowly, not bothering to fight his eye lids anymore. He just wanted to rest for once. He considered sleeping as he lay on the floor, but a sudden beeping from his comlink caused him to blink. Unclipping it from his belt he flipped it on and said "Hello, you've reached the RAIDERS squad messaging service. No one is in to take your call right now, please leave a message after the tone."

"Joamer, how nice to hear your voice." He fought the groan that threatened to form as he heard Havock on the other end. "The cities shields just went down, but reports say the orbital ones are still up."

"Grenades, not our fault." Joamer said simply. "Please tell me we can go home now. I'm so tired Ayme." He did not care if he was not allowed to call her by that name anymore, he was too worn out to think.

"Look, Joa..." She said after a very long minute. He knew they were not going home at that moment. "We are pulling back from Bastion, actually we are pulling back from the whole planet. The orbital stations are being dismantled, and the troops are being told to hold out as long as possible. We need a group to go with the engineers to the support beams under the city and protect them while they plant the charges."

He remembered seeing maps of the city when he first arrived. The underground area was a maze of tunnels and collapsed passageways. The mission was high risk, extremely high risk. With his squad in their current condition he doubted they could really pull it off and survive.

"Havock, my squad is..." Joamer said but was cut off.

"Joa, I know. I've got the reports. Please, just think about it." The tone in her voice told him she knew the odds of them surviving this were very slim.

Sitting up slowly he looked over at each member of the squad. They had heard every word, and he could read it in their faces they knew just as well as he did they would probably not survive this.

A long couple minutes passed as he collected his thoughts. He looked over at Bright before he started speaking. "Being your commanding officer has been an honor, it truly has. I would go to the ends of the universe for each and everyone of you. If I could I would nominate all of you for the medal of honor, I feel everyone here has earned it. You've gone above and beyond the call of duty, countless times in the last few months."

He looked down as he blinked a few times. "You are, the finest group of men and woman I have ever served with. I will never wish for a better group of soldiers and friends by my side. We've been asked to go on one final mission, one last objective to complete. I'm not going to lie to you, the odds of us surviving this are very very slim." He stopped talking as he looked down, every word of it was the truth too. He trusted all of them with his life now, he always would.

Karash spoke first, his voice was low but powerful "I've never liked you Reistlin, you are not half the Squad Leader Havock was. You lead by force, she was followed because people wanted to follow her. But, I've come to respect you to some degree. I believe if there is a chance of us surviving it will be with you. I'm with you."

Bright looked up at Joamer, the look in her violet eyes the same as it had been when he had promoted her to his second in command. "I know you aren't asking me a stupid question Reistlin. This is my squad too and currently half of them are following you. Without me you'll all end up dead." He smiled briefly at that.

He looked over at Mox, Heliwer, and Grahim. After a long moment they all nodded in unison. Cayla looked over at him and grinned. "I've already come this far with you guys. I want to see this thing through, regardless of the consequences." She said.

Tviana looked at Cayla for a moment, then at Joamer. "My only purpose here is to ensure the best possible outcome for everyone... and if this is the way to accomplish that... I'm in."

Joamer let it all sink in, everyone had agreed. He never really feared they would say no, it was not the RAIDERS way. They all believed in the motto 'Faithful til the end.' that was about to be put to the ultimate test.

"RAIDERS squad calling High command." Joamer said into his comlink a minute later. The squad began collecting their gear and stretching, the brief rest and the final choice seemed to rejuvenate them.

"I'm here RAIDERS." Havock said a few seconds later.

"RAIDERS will see it done." Joamer replied as he stood up. "Ayme, one thing. Feed Lurk for me please, and take care of her for as long as she survives. She will know I won't be coming back."

"I will, I promise you."

Turning off his comlink he checked his Magnum and looked at his squad. He nodded after a long few seconds and turned to walk down the hallway. The sound of the squad marching in unison soon filled the air. If they had to go out, they would go out on their terms.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

Kilroy
ComNet n00b

Kilroy

[VE-ARMY] Private

Post Number:  10
Total Posts:  120
June 4, 2011 2:36:19 PM    View the profile of Kilroy 
OOC:
BlackJack/Galm Squads...Also realized that Galm squad needed a little character to them instead of just being a standard squad....So I made them, eccentric

It took less than half an hour after Isen’s LAAT dropped them at the outer walls before BlackJack and its newfound support unit, Galm squad, found a position that overlooked several chokepoints along the wall and gave them the advantage of having multiple overlaying fields of fire.  Motioning towards it, Gates began to give orders to the men and women under his command when he realized that he was missing something. I don’t know whether these are FNGs fresh out or these guys have actually have some under their belt.  This could change things big time. He thought to himself as both squads began to look to him for orders.

“Valthir, take the rest of BlackJack and begin to secure the area.  I want to have the Reppies cringe with fear at the mere thought of taking this wall.  Galm squad, I need you to create a secondary and tertiary defense line in case this position, Emperor forbid it, gets overrun and we have to fallback.  Also, I need to see your sergeant or the current SL right now.  Everybody got that? Good, now move out.”  Garryll ordered, smiling as the two squads went to work without any questions asked.  Less then a minute later, he was horrified at the thought that Galm squad had no current squad leader or any ranking, due to the fact that all of them walked away before one returned back to him.  Greenhorns, just my luck, I get stuck with a squad of greenhorns.

-----

Corporal Bi “Benny” Han was not having a good day.  In the time it took to realize that he was Galm squad’s CO and not the old man, Benny also realized that his first impressions on BlackJack’s Lieutenant were not going to be of the good kind.  Grimacing, he quickly introduced himself and hoped that Lt. Garryll Gates was in a forgiving mood once the mission was done and over with.

“Corporal, I noticed that it took you a while before you got here.  Forgot your own chain of command?”

“Yes sir I did, this is our first mission without our sergeant and I forgot that I was the senior corporal out of the three we have.  No excuses.”  So gonna regret this later on.  He thought, before he noticed that the Lt was motioning towards him.  Letting out a sigh of relief, Benny walked over to him and was about to ask a question but was just as quickly cut off by Gates himself. 

“First order of business is this, for the duration of this mission, you and your squad are under my command, no questions asked.  Second, I need to know who makes it up as well as their roles.  You think you can do that?”

Nodding his head, Bi Han began to list those that were in his own fireteam, knowing full well that he knew more about them than anyone else.  Pointing towards a small enclave on the wall, he provided a brief description of the three stormtroopers that were working upon it.  Let’s see, might as well start with Nagase, and hope she doesn’t mind.

“Ok, you see that the small one with the backpack?  That’s PV2 Reiko Nagase, our current radio operator.  She used to be our grenadier before switching out when our former operator was crippled in a blast that took out our old man.  Nagase is quick to follow orders and is decent in any firefight; just don’t expect her to talk much right now.  She’s still torn up over seeing her friend, the former radioman, get med-evaced missing his lower legs.  Other than that, I found out that she LOVES and will eat cookie bread like there’s no tomorrow. Why just the other day…. ”

-----

Quietly taking mental notes down, Garryll was soaking up any and all information that the corporal gave him.  It wasn’t long before he determined the fact that while Galm squad was inexperienced in the command area, it made up with the fact that it consisted of soldiers that were flexible, dependable, and quite completely crazy as well.  I don’t know what’s worse, that these guys are not greenhorns, or that this squad is made of actual vets.  He thought, shaking his head the entire time as he imagined just what their old lieutenant had to put up with.  Noticing two troopers that were together, apparently already finished with their work and beginning to help the others, Gates pointed to them and hoped for some relatively good news.

“Those two over there, the ones going to help Nagase and Preacher, you forgot to mention them.  Who are they?”

“You see the one with the T-21 and her battery pack slung across her back?  We call her Tanner.  She’s Galm's other auto rifleman, and quite handy to have around too.  She and her combat buddy are pretty much inseparable and are on real good terms with each other, despite the fact that they are auto rifleman and designated marksman respectively.  It is the opinion of Galm squad that, despite their insistences that they are not blood related in any way shape or form, that they are evil twins.” 

“I see…..And the other one?”

“Oh him?  If I remember correctly, on his profile it says that he served 4 years with a security force known as the Armored Fists before joining the military.  I’ll give you a hint to what we call him, his name starts with Kil.”  What an ironic name…He doesn’t look the type.

-----

Stretching his arms, Kilroy began to realize that sooner or later he was going to have to cut with the joking around and focus on the fact that by the end of the day, Republic forces will be on their doorstep and lots of men were going to die.  Looking over to Nagase who was still probably mourning over Voodoo, her longtime combat buddy and childhood friend, he couldn’t help but feel pity for her.  Voodoo would throttle me if he saw her like this….better think of something fast.  “”Hey Nagase, I think I have some leftover cookie bre….Did you just ninja my cookie bread out of my hand?”

“Uh umf…Shanks, ish dewischoush….Soooo happaahhh”

Dumbstruck, Kilroy could never get over the fact that she always pulled that trick, even when he was looking straight at her the entire time.  It wasn’t long before he thought the BlackJacks Lt also had the same skills as Nagase, when he appeared out of nowhere and was standing right besides him.

“Nagase, when you’re finished eating, go get Preacher and tell him to report to Sergeant Valthir.  After that you are under my command as I am in need of a good radioman.”  Ninjas! Everywhere!  “Corporal Bi Han, I want you to go find Corporal Cipher Manos, tell him he’s going to be the medic for both squads now.”  Puzzled at the fact that both he and Tanner weren’t given any tasks, Kilroy was beginning to think that the Lieutenant forgot about them when all of a sudden a string of unforgettable words were spoken.  “Oh yeah Tanner and Killjoy, you two, come with me.”

“Sure thing bo….Hey I am not a killjoy!”
TRN/PVT Kilroy/.SQD/.PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
[This message has been edited by Kilroy (edited June 6, 2011 11:15:58 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Kilroy (edited June 6, 2011 11:17:45 AM)]
Aether
ComNet n00b

Aether

[VE-ARMY] Private Second Class

Post Number:  21
Total Posts:  25
June 4, 2011 9:16:47 PM    View the profile of Aether 
Aether felt his stomach lurch as the LAAT dropped out of the sky and within moments the Gunship hit the earth with a thud shaking everyone inside

“Out! Go, go go” Gates said.

Aether hopped of the LAAT and formed up with the rest of BlackJack, Gates opened his Com channels and retrieved there orders “what type of hell do ya think there gonna throw us into next” Pvt. Arson said gazing up at the shield

“As long as it doesn’t involve more flying I’m good” Aether said rubbing his stomach

“Quiet.” Val hushed them

“Roger, BlackJack digging in!” Gates said. He stood still for a second, before turning to face BlackJack.

“Gates?” Val said

Gates sighed “we’re abandoning Thyveck” he said softly

“What!” Aether thought as a cold chill shot through him. The whole squad was unnerved; some exclaimed angrily, others just stood silently.

“You can’t be serious!” Arson yelled. “We bled all over this planet!”

“Corvin, Fear, and many more” Aether quietly said, lowering his head.

“Great, just great” lightray muttered.

“We can grieve over this later but now we still have orders to fallow, and we WILL see them through” Gates Yelled “Everyone is counting on us, and we will hold our ground, we will see this through, and we WILL hold the line!” Gates shouted rallying BlackJack

Aether looked up at his commander, who was paced back and forth.

“Corvin, and Fear, and many others have made the ultimate sacrifice for this campaign. We may be leaving Thyveck but we will make sure that their sacrifices were not in vain, and when the Republic get here were gonna show them hell, the likes of witch they’ve never even dreamed of, let them know why we’re the most feared warriors in all the Vast Empire.” Gates Paused. “Am I understood?” he said his breaths heavy with fatigue

“Sir, yes Sir” they all replied

“Good, now get busy”

-----

Aether stood a the front of the trench gazing out at the Republic position, Arson sat deep with in the trench polishing a knife, a few soldiers were setting up barricades around the trench, the rest of blackjack stood in the trench, waiting.

“So this is it” he said aloud

“Dain! Talking to yourself Again!” Lightray called across the trench

“No I’ve got your mom on ComNet” he shouted back

“I don’t believe it” said a Corporal

“Don’t believe what?” Aether said turning to face him “we’re about to get freaking slaughtered and the two of you still won’t stop acting like children” he growled

“Get over it” Jo’ron said

“Yeah you need to…” Aether began to speak but was cut off by an explosion, they all turned their attention to the shield at the top of the shield, there were ripples crawling along the shields surface, a puff of black smoke hovered above the shield.

“Artillery…” Aether muttered

“Get Ready the shield won’t hold for long” Gates yelled

There was scuffling all along the trench as the troopers readied their weapons. Aether loaded his rifle and aimed his rifle down range where the Republic soldiers would be coming.

“So, were low on ammo, tired, and probably gonna die. Going up against a massive army that’s hell bent on grinding us into dust. How about them odds” Aether said, adrenalin beginning to pump through his body

“Wouldn’t have it any other way!” Gates said

“Exactly!” Aether agreed with his commander
Privet Dain "Aether" Atari
ETRP/PSC Aether/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/Tadath
[This message has been edited by Aether (edited June 4, 2011 9:52:42 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Aether (edited June 4, 2011 10:13:27 PM)]
Tviana
ComNet n00b

Tviana

Post Number:  9
Total Posts:  14
June 4, 2011 11:36:02 PM    View the profile of Tviana 
Tviana glanced around at the other members of the squad, feeling both very proud and very stupid. They all knew what they were getting into, and they all expected to die defending a world that they'd spent over six months of combat in just to lose it to the NR. The sad yet heroic sensation accompanying that knowledge was almost physically palpable to the Zelosian. As they double-checked their gear, Tviana slipped in beside Cayla under the pretense of loading her blaster. She leaned in closer, to keep the conversation at least somewhat private.

She just could not understand it. "Why would you throw away your life like this?"

Cayla retightened her boot and checked the sights on her rifle.  "Because..." she said, powering the weapon up.  "It's who I am."

"Someone who always follows a lost cause?"

"No... Someone who will fight and die beside people worthy of such a sacrifice."

The non-human pondered that for a moment.

"And you consider Heliwer, Grahim, even Karash worthy of that?"

"I consider Joamer, Bright, and yourself worthy of such an honor." Did... did she just say she'd die for Joamer and I?

"Thanks, I guess." She pressed a hand to her forehead and sighed. "Sorry, all the emotion in here is affecting me..."

Cayla placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled.  "You are most welcome, Tviana.  I'd be honored to fight and die by your side."

"I'm not entirely sure how much of this emotion is mine and how much is a reflection of RAIDERS, but... I believe I am willing to die for you and the rest of the squad, as well."

The Onderonian smiled and gave Tviana a hug.

"Thanks, Cayla... I now have a reason to survive this."

"As do I," Cayla said, hugging the Zelosian tight.

Tviana hugged back, then popped a fresh power pack into her rifle. "I may be emotionally unstable, but I'm ready. Let's finish this."

The two of them turned and began moving back down the damaged, bloodstained corridors. Tviana began mentally laying out the situation. So, we're losing Thyveck to the New Republic... that's going to cause a few problems down the line, but it's not our immediate problem and can't really be helped. RAIDERS is heading down to help cover the engineers while they sabotage the entire fort's foundations, which means when this place gets shelled we're going to be trapped right in the middle of it with no easy way out. Hopefully, none of the beams we damage will actually collapse... because at that point, there's no way we'll make it out alive. If by a miracle the place holds together, and we can hold off the troops long enough, we might be able to find an exit or make our own.

"First real mission with you guys, and I'm already heading off to most likely explode and die... You know, I think I might even like it here."

Joamer chuckled softly. "Welcome to RAIDERS. Hope you enjoy your stay, although it looks like it's going to be cut a bit short."
"Leaves are free, so let me be." - Tviana

TRP/PFC Tviana "Leaf" Del/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE

Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

Post Number:  591
June 4, 2011 11:56:21 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
The squad was walking slowly, a few people were even talking to each other. Half laughing at old times, long ago missions they went on. Family they had at some point, and that they may never see again. He knew it was nerves they were trying to battle though, he knew none of them truly wanted to die this way. They would do it though, because over the course of this campaign they had become a family. A dysfunctional crazy family for sure, but still a family. They would die for each other, some of them grudgingly, but they would still do it.

This was the risk you took when you got put into RAIDERS, it was the first question asked by the Squad Leader. Are you willing to die? If they said no, or hesitated they got shipped to another squad. He would not want a trooper by his side that was not willing to die for one of his or her squadmates. They would break and run when it got really difficult, he had seen it happen before.

RAIDERS were the ones you went to when you needed something really stupid completed. Something no sane group could complete and survive. They had, many times. The RAIDER name would live on even if the squad died here. A new leader would be chosen, and from the ashes a new squad would be born into their legacy. Their names and deeds would pass down through the years to become legends. People to be respected, looked up to. He knew they would complete their mission, at all costs it would be completed. It is what they did, simple as that. They were RAIDERS, you called them to get the job done. They would get it done.

Joamer walked in front of everyone, his body seemingly gaining more strength as he walked towards his fate. It was like he knew he would find his end here, and was determined to go out fighting. Last reserves of strength were tapped, to give him the needed courage to see the job complete.

As a trooper he never really thought he would ever die in a mission. He saw many of his friends pass on over the years, but never thought it would happen to him. When he became Squad Leader, and finally fully accepted it. He knew one day he would die for the squad, it was his fate to, and he was willing to pay that price for them. It was his squad, his responsibility.

The old sayings kept going through his mind as the surface level got closer. The captain goes down with the ship. The Squad Leader is first one on, and last one off. One however, one was a new one. No father should have to bury his children. He knew now he would never have kids, they were not in his future. The troopers under him were his children, he cared for them like a father.

He now had to walk them to their deaths, it was a hard thing to do. To willingly sacrifice yourself for a cause. No, not for a cause. For the men and woman up there fighting to get off this planet. Every second we cost them is one more life that is saved. Die for them, not for the cause. A voice in the back of his head said a few moments later.

"Are you alright?" Bright asked softly as she stepped closer. She was outwardly calm, having accepted her fate as well. He could see in her eyes she was nervous though, he knew he was too. He did not really want to die, he was afraid of what lay on the other side of death.

"I'll be alright." He half lied to her, he knew she did not buy it at all. The words he should of been saying would not come. They had been friends for a very long time now, been through many missions where they thought they would not make it out. To die by her side was something he could do though. It would be his greatest honor to fight by her side as the end came.

He hoped she did not suffer when it happened. He hoped none of them suffered.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

[This message has been edited by Joamer (edited June 5, 2011 12:00:41 AM)]
Garryll Gates
ComNet Expert

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1567
June 5, 2011 11:58:19 AM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
Gates was cautiously optimistic about their chances in this battle. While the battle-chatter on the Command Link spoke of a massive host with a ton of support, they were still held back by Bastion’s State-of-the-Art shield deflectors. As long as they were up, only a small portion of the Republic attack force could get at them, and artillery and long-range shelling were impossible. It wasn’t like the Republic wasn’t trying to put their big guns to use though, as every few seconds, a heavy shell splashed against the shield.

When he combined that fact with his improved personnel situation, Gates was a lot more pleased. Galm squad could ably watch Blackjack’s backs, if their corporal spoke correctly about their abilities, and he had always trusted his own squad to hold any line or take any objective.

As long as the shields held, the numbers would be manageable. As long as the shields held, they could hold the line indefinitely. As long as the shields held.

Gates opened a link up the ladder, pinging Havock for an update. “Hav, Blackjack’s in position and deployed. We’re ready for anything.”

Fate mocked him. The shields went down.

“Oh, shit,” he muttered. “Why are the shields down? What’s gone wrong?”

Havock made a shushing sound and then could be heard speaking into a different comlink; Gates could hear the words ‘Joamer,’ ‘shields’ and ‘denial.’ From that, Gates pieced together that Command wanted Raiders squad to somehow deny the Republic access to Bastion. They had been responsible for the shield deflectors.

Havock returned to Gates’ link. “Raiders squad is going to escort a squad of engineers to the structural supports of Bastion. We have to deny the Republic access to this fort. Garryll, you’ll have to help hold the line  for as long as possible.”

“Shit. Roger that,” Gates replied. He severed the link and turned to the two men of Galm squad he’d picked up. “Alright, play time’s over. War is about to come smashing down.”

The two squads under his command moved around. To either side of them, army squads rushed to and fro at the yelled commands of their officers. A few feet back, dug in deeper in the battlements, men set up mortars.

“ARTILLERY INCOMING. ARTILLERY INCOMING,” a nearby klaxon roared, and then began wailing out an artillery warning.

The soldiers on the wall covered their heads and prayed that a shell wouldn’t land anywhere near them. Gates edged to the short wall that separated the lowest-level battlements from the meters-thick Bastion walls, and peaked over. Hundreds, if not thousands, of Republic soldiers were moving forwards, supported by tanks, armored vehicles and artillery pieces. The artillery was close enough to be visible, barrels pointed into the air, and flashing as they fired every few seconds. The wall-guns weren’t firing back, despite the tantalizing bevy of targets.

“Everything on this base is broken!” Gates lamented quietly to himself. “Guns, shields! How are we expected to hold?”

Onto his squad link, though, such thoughts weren’t his place, duty, or orders. Gates stood and walked back to the center of the Blackjack/Galm position, then opened his link and raised his voice to be heard over the already screaming shells of the Republic, the yells of pain and command from soldiers to either flank, and the drumbeat of explosions as shells slammed into the wall or ground.

“Blackjack! Galm!” Garryll began, his voice powerful, confident, and holding within it the strong note of command he’d gained over years of combat. “Our mission is to hold this fort. We will not falter in this mission! We will not be driven back without making them bleed for every meter, every centimeter, every millimeter. They’ll spend a life for every foot they place on this base, I promise you! They will know why we are the Empire’s Elite! They will remember us, us Stormtroopers, and tell their comrades, their children, their people, who we are - and how we hurt them so.”

Blackjack had not heard him speak with such passion in months; he and they had grown jaded with war on Thyveck, but this was something that resonated with all of them. Galm, on the other hand, did not know him. They had not grown as weary of constant, battering war that Blackjack had experienced, and yelled in agreement. He could give them encouragement, and the hope of victory, even against such numbers.

“Stand fast, Stormtroopers!” Gates barked. “Assume positions and ready weapons! Fire when the enemy is within range.”

Stormtroopers moved to their positions, mostly along the wall except for the specialists like the radioman and the medic. Gates took up his own position, and braced his E-45 along the chest- high wall that separated the battlements from the steep drop of the outer defense walls. Already, the walls were pockmarked by shrapnel, explosion craters, and carbon scoring, but such minor damage wouldn’t topple the wall. Only an infantry assault to drive the Imperial forces out could do so.

The numbers on his HUD’s rangefinder ticked down as the Republic forces moved in. Gates’ finger rested on his rifle’s trigger, waiting until they got within range. The rest of Blackjack and Galm stood at their positions, their rifles at their shoulders, scopes raised to their T-visors.
Green light pulsed as the rangefinder identified maximum effective range for their weapons. None of the Stormtroopers asked for confirmation, and opened fire. Battle was truly joined by the Imperial defenders and the assaulting Republic adversaries.

TRN/AD Gates/Lopen/VEDJ

Heliwer117
ComNet Novice

Heliwer117

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  93
Total Posts:  467
June 5, 2011 2:24:08 PM    View the profile of Heliwer117 
OOC:
Like it or hate it, I got a graduation cerimony to play at for my High school, so I needed this post to go up before I leave.

This was it… The final mission… The last few hours of our lives… At least we’ll help the others get out…

Heliwer took a deep breath as he walked along with the squad. After briefly re-supplying, the RAIDERS began heading to the engineers’ position. They would have to make their way to a shaft, then walk through the maze of tunnels to find the engineers, protect them from a probable surge of Republic troops coming from all directions, and then somehow survive all that to get out and on to the transport shuttle to get out of this hell hole once and for all. It seemed to be as everyone thought, an impossible mission. Which is why the RAIDERS were doing the mission. They could do the impossible and then some.

The lance corporal remembered back to when Joamer asked him the eternal question: Are you ready to die? Being the cocky recruit he was, he had replied back with “Listen bud, I’ve been ready to die ever since I got my pirates into some heavy shit with the Republic two years ago. I think I can die for another asshole.”

A chuckle came from his lips as he also remembered the 50 push ups he was forced to do for that answer. But had he proved his worth? If Joamer did not believe him now, nothing would make him believe. He was a tough, stubborn man, one who grated on the big trooper’s nerves and constantly used him as a punching bag. It took him a while to accept that it was a way of conditioning the body, something that he did privately and never expected that anyone else did. The squad leader had now changed in Heliwer’s eyes. He was no longer an annoying nuisance, another career soldier, one who wanted to advance up in the good graces of the high command by ruthlessly enforcing the rules. He was now more like Rhyfelwr: Tough when he needed to be, enforcing the rules to avoid chaos, to bring the squad together, and to toughen the men and women into the best squad in the Empire.

Brightstar, too, had changed. The initial confrontation was an accident as he had no idea who on Nal Hutta she was. Now she was the ASL, second hand to the most powerful force in the squad. She took on as much of a ‘motherly’ figure as Heliwer needed: Commanding, giving advice to ‘father’ Joamer, and keeping both him and the squad afloat. If he went down, the RAIDERS would turn to her as their new leader and she would have to choose a new ASL. No one would match the level that the gunny had reached. She set the bar a million parsecs above their heads, and would be remembered as the best.

The Gungan, Grahim, had advanced up from weird, fish-face person thingy, to squad member. Even Mox had moved up a notch, from pain in the ass, to an ID-10T error left unsolved by the Imperial Help Desk. Karash didn’t really rank anywhere because of his stature as a medic. He could be the devil one moment, then an angel in combat armor keeping you alive. The two who were the toughest to rank anywhere, though, were Cayla and Tviana. Cayla was in a peculiar situation with both Heliwer and Tviana having feelings for the girl, though only the former let those feelings manifest. He could consider her as like a sister, but what about when things end? What about when one of them is knocking on heaven’s door (Or whatever you call the place that good people go)? It would be too late to start anything. This brought things back to Tviana, the tree girl. She looked normal and did not really annoy him, but he sensed that she was starting to have feelings for ‘his girl’, making him start to think about confronting her about it.

As time passed and they started into the tunnels, Heliwer made the decision to let it be for until another time. Right now, he felt like saying something. He worked his way up to Joamer and Brightstar and walked beside them, his M-590 armed with a new grenade launcher and extra clips bristling along his waist. The two M3 Revolvers that the Major had dropped in the confusion were also holstered, fully loaded and nicely polished. In the dim light of the system, they had an eerie golden glow about them. Seeing the ASL and SL look over and one of them chuckle silently, the lance corporal took a deep breath and began.

“Yknow, when I was with the Rangars two plus years ago,” He recounted. “We had some close encounters of our own, things that looked impossible to get out of. It was during those times when I got exposed to pirate afterlife superstition.”

Joamer looked maybe a little intrigued, though it may have been false to get Heliwer to keep talking and keep his mind off of the current situation a bit.

“They said that if you were too much of a greedy pirate, that if you had a palace of gold while your crew had measly credits, you would go to an afterlife where you are forever poor and mistreated. If you are a brutal man, slaughtering innocents willingly, you get sent to the most horrible of afterlives that no one dares speak much more on it. But if you are courageous, if you fight for your men and die in combat, that you end up in what some people call heaven, but what pirates call, Paradise City, where the grass is green, the girls are pretty, and you can rest for eternity there, or go and fight other warriors for fun, as you can’t get hurt or die in the afterlife.”

It was at this moment that everyone stopped. Brightstar was checking a map to make sure they were going the right way.

“Point is, I’m glad to have served with you, even though most of that time has been as a punching bag.”

The big man pulled out a cigaro and lit it.

“I think we all deserved to go home, or go to the Paradise City. Whichever comes first. I’m not bothered.”

A ring of smoke dissipated in the air, and they resumed walking.

“I’ve made my choice. If we get ambushed, take my pack. There’s enough explosives in there for you guys to help take down the structures. I’ll stay behind and keep them busy, give you time to get there.” He paused for a second. “It might be sooner than we think. No ambushes since we’ve been down here. If anyone tries to change my mind, tries to stay with me, tries to pull me away, well don’t let them do that. I have to do this. Someone does, might as well be me. Catch?”
TRP/PFC Heliwer/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
[ES1]
Karash
ComNet Cadet

Karash

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  266
Total Posts:  425
June 5, 2011 7:53:40 PM    View the profile of Karash 
“I have to do this. Someone does, might as well be me. Catch?” Heliwer’s words seemed to strike Karash.

‘One more toy soldier wanting to be the hero and pretending to run off into the wide blue yonder. Why is it there is always some pompous, usually ex-criminal, trash that thinks they are the be all and end all?’ Karash was tired and his usual bad temper had suddenly become an uncontrollable anger that was about to spill over one way or another.

“Enough of this look on the Brightside, nonsense.” The Senior Sergeant blurted out.

“What?” Heliwer looked at Karash and blew another puff of smoke into the air.

“I’ll tell you what; you all seem to think this is some gallant mission we are going on. That the RAIDERS are the only ones for the job because we are the best, that we shall be bathed in glory for doing our duty to the utmost.” Karash turned and looked at Heliwer, “That you can pretend to play the big hero, well its nothing but rubbish!” The medic shouted clenching his fists.

“Karash...” Joamer tried to intervene but was ignored.

“We have been sent because we are the only ones stupid enough to enough to do it and even that is looking on the Brightside; it’s more likely because we are the dispensable ones.” Karash had not finished his rant but paused as he tried to steady his breathing, “And you, the brave Heliwer, typical brute-boy nonsense!”

“And what do you mean by that?” Heliwer moved himself closer to the ranting medic.

“What a surprise it needs explaining.” Karash spoke with a deep sense of superiority. “Do you know what it will be like to die down here; if you are lucky you’ll be shot or go instantly with the explosion. The less lucky will be crushed much as our counterparts on the mountain were.”

Again Joamer tried to intervene but this time with more authority, “Enough Karash...”

The Senior Sergeant continued, “The least lucky of you all will survive all that and be left to endure your final moments buried in this flaming hell hole and then it will come the end. But there will be no glory, no resounding trumpets, no heavenly light, there will be nothing. What will you be remembered for?” Karash paused whilst trying to compose himself, “If you are lucky enough to be remembered at all, it will be as fools. Just like Ghost squad, eh Joamer.” 

‘What are you doing?’ Were his thoughts as the realisation of what he just said hit him. As he looked around he could see the whole squad had stopped and were looking at him in various states of bemusement.

“Senior Sergeant Norgath your conduct is far below what it should be, if you are not capable or willing to fulfil your duties you are free to go.” Joamer spoke with the full authority of a Squad Leader.

“Go? And be called a coward and let you fools be responsible for everything. I have no intention of going anywhere.” He was regaining some of his composure, “I will do my duty to the full but I will not do it knowing that you all think it’s going to be ok or that we are heroes.” Karash tried to give the impression he had just been cruel to be kind, rather than losing it.

“Then let’s keep moving.” Joamer ordered and squad was once again heading towards its possible doom.

They were not far off of their destination now, the engineers frantic work could be heard echoing through the tunnels. The rest of their journey was not as optimistic as the first part had been, the medic’s outburst had made sure of that but Karash was oddly contented by recent events. In fact he had an odd smirk on his face.   

“Are you sure you are alright?” Brightstar was asking the exact same question she had previously.

“I told you that I am fine, in fact that little... reaction may have stopped me from going completely insane... again.” Karash said half-seriously.

“I really could deal without having to deal with you going mad as well as everything else.” She spoke still quite seriously.

“I said I was fine, in fact I think death will be a nice change of pace. Oh look we appear to have arrived at our destination.” He was now trying to get the ASL of his case but their arrival signalled more important things for Bright to do.
SSG_Karash (2.1)
TRP/SSG_Karash/2SQD/1PgLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/TADATH/VE [ES2][DOH][BoT][EW2][ES1][EW1][IH]
Ion
ComNet n00b

Ion

[VE-ARMY] Private Second Class

Post Number:  14
Total Posts:  65
June 5, 2011 8:11:31 PM    View the profile of Ion 
OOC:
Eclipse

Ion felt a pang of success as the infiltrator was shot down.

Bout dang time

This warm fuzzy feeling was short lived however. An army hundreds strong, if not thousands, came into his macro-binoculars's view. They spread like a virus, climbing over wreckage, bodies, craters, all driven by a single uniting purpose. To wipe the Empire off the face of the planet.

"Holy..." Ion whispered under his breath.

A sniper checked in, "Incoming Republic troops over the plain.  "There's gotta' be at least four, maybe five thousand of the bastards."

"Well then, the odds are certainly imbalanced," Skarr chimed in "they should have brought seven."

Sarcasm or madness? It's all the same. We're dead.

The snipers began picking off some of the mass of warriors, taking a bucket out of the ocean. As the troops grew closer, the air became increasingly filled with bolts of energy, projectiles, explosions... bodies. Ion had run clean through his first clip before he'd even realized just how screwed they were.

He lobbed a grenade across no-man's-land, into enemy lines. It did nothing to stem the tide of New Republicans that now flowed over the once peaceful landscape. Picking off soldiers who peeked from behind cover his rifle resounded in his hand. Another grenade. More bodies.

The trooper next to him crouched, reloaded, resumed to defending their position, and died. Another body.

Ion shifted to cover the new opening in their defense. So many. He fired his rifle as cries came over the comm.

"Vehicles advancing on the right side."

"I need a medic over here."

"Requesting assistance on the forward line"

His finger grew numb from the gun's recoil. He switched his cover, switched hands, and switched mags. Turning he cut down a group of a fire squad moving in on his position, trying to rush him. More fire, more destruction, no end to the enemy in sight.

A grenade landed to his right. Ion stared in disbelief at the explosive device. He jumped forward and lobbed the grenade back. It ignited mid air and shrapnel rained over his new armor.

-  -  -  -  -

After what seemed like an eternity, though may have been a few paltry moments for all he knew, two more men came to cover the area. Ion heard Skarr's voice over the Comm unit.

"Ion, get your ass back here, we're ending this."

"On my way sir." He replied "And let's end this."

OOC:
All right, any number of ways to try and slow the Republic. Oh and sorry I haven't posted in a week or so, finals.
TRP/PVT Ion/1SQD/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. 
                                ~Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by Ion (edited June 5, 2011 8:14:16 PM)]
Treble
ComNet n00b

Treble

[VE-ARMY] Private

Post Number:  23
Total Posts:  25
June 5, 2011 11:18:25 PM    View the profile of Treble 
OOC:
Eclipse

The chaos was all around her, but she didn’t mind it. She had a way of dealing with her surroundings and letting it bounce off for the most part. The infiltrators were becoming annoying, and there was not much she could do about it. It was then that she took notice of the engineers running around and building some sort of tower.

“Treble! Taran! Form up on me. We’re taking these frakking infiltrators out!” Skarr’s voice called out. Treble immediately turned and headed back over to her SL. She noticed one of her squadmates walk up to him.

“A few minutes and the towers will be complete.”

“Good, good. Now let’s hope this plan works.”

Treble, Taran, and Skarr headed up to take their positions along the wall. She tuned out the conversation going on between her SL and Taran. The Republic troops out around the city’s shields seemed massive. She began speaking to herself as she always did when she was in the midst of any sort of battle.

“At least the shields are holding for now, but we still have infiltrators. Those damn Reshies will not win this fight. I will make sure of it. No matter the odds, we’re still here and fighting. Though it sounds like these guys have been here for more than just a short while. That once squad I saw earlier… they seemed very torn up. I wonder what their story is…” Treble’s whispered thoughts were cut off as Skarr began talking again.

“Remember, as soon as you pop your head out, you may be fired upon,” She nodded her head as Skarr continued, “Hopefully our sniper teams Anival has placed will get a fix on their position and take them out. Don't try to take any shots yourself, understand?" She acknowledged though she desperately wanted to do something. Sitting and waiting was not something she was so keen on. Her body kept telling her to move, and she had to keep herself from doing just that. Consequently she began to fidget which would make anyone watching her think she was actually afraid of what was going on. She wasn’t. At least, she liked to think she wasn’t. Planet hopping and stealing with NR soldiers chasing you was much different than all of this.

"Over!" Treble stood up then dropped back down as another infiltrator shot at the towers. At first the snipers didn’t respond, but soon they were firing back until they eventually all fell silent. Skarr stood up and looked around.

"What is it, sir?"

"We've got incoming." He suddenly turned and left. Treble stood to look. The Republic soldiers were moving forward. She looked up at the city’s shields but they weren’t there anymore. The only thing that had been keeping them safe was gone.

She quickly checked her rifle to make sure it was still functioning. The battle was about to turn on them. In minutes Skarr was back by them. “We’re still holding the wall, but we’re sabotaging Thyveck.”

Treble blinked in surprise. It seemed like only moments ago she had just arrived, and now things were going to be over in quick procession. Taran stared at Skarr in amazement, but he didn’t seem to make much more of a comment beyond that.

“Regardless, we will still fight back just as hard.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way, sir.” Treble spoke up. A spark lit in her eyes behind her helmet. She would take care of the threat one way or another. There was no giving up even if the Bastion was to be destroyed.

The three Eclipse members turned their attention to the oncoming soldiers. It wasn’t long before shells began heading their way. Treble watched constantly, ducking when one fell anywhere near her. She heard a cry ring out over the explosion as yet another man was caught in the deadly fire. Treble breathed a sigh of relief. The going was going to be tough.

As they began coming into range Skarr spoke up again, “Strike first. Fast, exact, secure.” Taran immediately recognized Eclipse’s motto and suddenly both Treble and Taran were fingering their rifles’ trigger as the New Republic came into their range.

Almost as one, the squads holding the walls began firing upon the masses. Treble tried to take as little time to aim as possible, finding the best possible targets to take down easily. Skarr and Taran to her right were doing an excellent job as well. She admired their accuracy as they focused on the task at hand. All the while, Treble fell into her usual chatter.

“Ready, aim, fire. One down and several hundreds more to go. They seem to grow exponentially.” Treble heard the artillery warning come in again. She looked up and silently cursed to herself.
TRP/PVT Treble/1SQD/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
Skarr
ComNet Member

Skarr

[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  572
Total Posts:  2102
June 6, 2011 10:41:32 AM    View the profile of Skarr 
OOC:
ECLISPE

The artillery exploded around them with what almost seemed to be inaccuracy. If any explosions killed anyone it was by sheer luck. In front of Eclipse Squad lay an army. Sure, Eclipse had been up against a lot, but an army? Skarr had heard of the other squad accomplishing such feats, but they had been fully manned and had far more experienced soldiers in them. But now was not the time to worry. Skarr just had to do, not think about it.

The snipers were slowly falling back from their positions out in the field. They were staying until it was necessary to their survival that they move. Skarr commended the bravery of the troops under his command and not just the Eclipse troopers. The normal Stormies were holding their own, digging in and firing. Their aim was not as good as Eclipse, but they were still killing enough Republic troops to satisfy Skarr.

The number of soldiers made Skarr fidgety. He did not like this. The numbers were against them. He tried numerous ways of blocking it out, but nothing was working. All he could do was concentrate on making the numbers smaller. Treble and Taran were still beside him, doing their jobs, which made Skarr quite happy. The both of them were determined soldiers and great shots too it seemed. Anival and Thengil were not far from Skarr either. No doubt planning their next move. The two of them were doing just fine as well. Ion and Rawr had also found themselves in a pair. The both of them had put good use to their grenades, carefully picking spots in the invading army that would maximize casualties. It was precise and very useful.

The Republic were having troubles forming up a line and they were scattering for some form of cover. Thankfully, the area around Bastion was nearly flat. They would find no cover. Skarr emptied yet another clip and reloaded the E-45. He loved the energy weapon fully. It was reliable, dependable. And it was the one thing that kept him alive for the past year and a half of service. The weapon came up and was firing again. The reload process took four seconds. More fire poured into Eclipse’s position. The defenses the engineers had crafted were just barely holding. Skarr thought the position would hold for at least ten more minutes. He was wrong.

“Incoming on the right flank!” a soldier yelled out. Skarr’s head whipped to the right. Three squad of Republic troopers were swarming over the defenses. Barely any Imperials had been concentrating on that area. The threat had layed ahead, not to the side.

“How the hell did we let that happen?” Skarr yelled, knowing perfectly well that it was his fault for moving the troops to the front in the first place. Blasters began concentrating on the threat inside the defenses and the army began advancing faster. Skarr looked around wildly. The defenses would not hold now. There were too few soldiers. Seven Eclipse and maybe forty regular troops. That was not enough.

There was only one option and Skarr did not like it. Falling back.

“Fall back!” The troopers around him began running towards the relative safety of the walls. Although, seeing the army before Skarr, that safety would not last long.

OOC:
And now we are falling back, but only one level up Bastion. I see Bastion as being leveled much like Minas Tirith from Lord of the Rings. So we will be able to fire upon the incoming army from inside. But beware, the Republic will enter Bastion.
SL|CoT:A/SFC Skarr/1SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE [CDS] [ES2] {RES} (3.1)
Norith Skarr
Sergeant First Class, Vast Imperial Army
Commander of Training Assistant
Squad Leader of Eclipse

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't" General George Patton
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Thyveck: Backs against the wall  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 8:32:58 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 144  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >