ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  673
Total Posts:  1957
  RE: New List
November 8, 2009 5:08:04 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
well put Drac.

most of us, hell all of us, are overdue for promotion.  Some of us got ours today, does that mean we have 'enoungh' now and stop...no.

it means we are on our way to getting us where we SHOULD be.

Ibram, we get it, you don't like to promote. fine, that's you...the rest of us do. the horse is dead, leave him be.
WC|CO|LCM Geordi "Driver" Atrasin/Phoenix 1-1/CVT Ferum Umbra/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}
Vacuus Ordo, Nex  -Without Order, Death
All a man can betray is his conscience. - Joseph Conrad
We few, we happy few. We band of brothers. - Henry V
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General George S. Patton Jr.
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Ibram Tyrol
ComNet Veteran

Ibram Tyrol

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  1259
Total Posts:  1563
November 8, 2009 6:47:01 PM    View the profile of Ibram Tyrol 
Tell you what Drac, I'll stop making that point when you stop making your counter point, deal? :P
"Determining the appropiate level of interference in somebody elses war is never a simple matter."

- Special Circumstances

Ensign Ibram Tyrol
Viper Squadron
Commanding Officer
We fly, you die

---------------------------------------
Adjunctant
Office of the Naval Executive Officer
VEN
SC/ADJ:NXO/ENS Ibram Tyrol/Viper 1/mSSD Atrus/1W/1FL/VEN/{=*A*=}{=*SA*=}{=*ME*=}{=*MAE*=}{=*FOCE*=}/[NER]
Darkhawk
ComNet Disciple

Darkhawk

[VE-DJO] Sith Corruptor
[VE-NAVY] Commodore

Post Number:  2584
Total Posts:  2685
November 8, 2009 6:54:58 PM    View the profile of Darkhawk 
Don't underestimate the "carrot on the stick" factor. Haphazrd example: If people will PAY to play MMORPGs for months and months on end just to unlock a few achievement points and a few pieces of better gear, don't you think VE members would be more inclined to write stories and participate in VE activities if they know there is a legitimate chance for promotion?

I'll be the first to admit that I never should've obtained this rank as quickly as I did, but back then there were a LOT of active members, and the best of us were being promoted every couple of months. I probably wouldn't have been as active - nor productive - as I was if I'd been "stuck" as a Senior Crewman for month after month.

And for those of you who HAVE had the same rank for several months, please don't take any offense to that; no offense is intended for anyone in charge, either. And I know it's kind of a dick move to jump in on this conversation because I'm not really a part of the Navy ... but after reading through this thread, I just couldn't help but throw my two cents onto the pile.
SCAP/COM Darkhawk/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=SCPA=)(=MA=)(=FCO=)[LoR][LSM][BRC][MC1][CBV.][VC:E][NDM][KC:OC]

SW Darkhawk/Eagle 1-2/Sith/VEDJ/VE/[VP:1][SoY][EoP][CR]
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  674
November 8, 2009 7:00:27 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
Darkhawk, you are always welcome here.

It's good to hear from our veterans, let the kids know what the Navy was and will be again
WC|CO|LCM Geordi "Driver" Atrasin/Phoenix 1-1/CVT Taskmaster/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General George S. Patton Jr.
Hunter-Morrell
ComNet Veteran

Hunter-Morrell

[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 2nd Class
[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  1200
Total Posts:  2071
November 8, 2009 7:46:39 PM    View the profile of Hunter-Morrell 
Definitely. And don't hesitate to come back to the Navy Darkhawk. We need all the people we can get. By the way, awesome banner Driver.
Warrant Officer Second Class Hunter Morrell
SC/WO2 Hunter-Morrell/Nazgul 1/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/1Flt/VEN/VE [CBV][BRC][BWC][MC:1]
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  675
November 8, 2009 7:47:20 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
All thanks on the new banner to Aeos, she's a goddess
WC|CO|LCM Geordi "Driver" Atrasin/Phoenix 1-1/CVT Taskmaster/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}
Arturo
ComNet Novice
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  58
Total Posts:  277
November 8, 2009 9:59:54 PM    View the profile of Arturo 
Your banner is pimp.
SCRW Arturo Lee
Nazgul Squadron Flight 3 Member
Imperial Baronet
FM/SCRW Arturo Lee/Nazgul 3-11/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1FLT/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)
Ibram Tyrol
ComNet Veteran

Ibram Tyrol

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  1261
November 9, 2009 5:37:20 AM    View the profile of Ibram Tyrol 
Nice to see you again Darkhawk, your opinion is always welcome.
"Determining the appropiate level of interference in somebody elses war is never a simple matter."

- Special Circumstances

Ensign Ibram Tyrol
Viper Squadron
Commanding Officer
We fly, you die

Adjunctant
VEN
SC/ADJ:NXO/ENS Ibram Tyrol/Viper 1/mSSD Atrus/1W/1FL/VEN/{=*A*=}{=*SA*=}{=*ME*=}{=*MAE*=}{=*FOCE*=}/[NER]
Aeos
ComNet Disciple

Aeos

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Krath Adept
[VE-VEEC] Engineer

Post Number:  2445
Total Posts:  3141
November 9, 2009 10:54:10 AM    View the profile of Aeos 
Stop it! You're making me blush

[LoR][ES2C][CoR][CoS][SC][EW:1][RCoD][GRoM][GRP][CCA][GC]
TRN/ADT_Aeos/Training 1-1/Lopen/VEDJ/VE
CPO_Aeos/(=*A*=)][MC1](=*SA*=)
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  3727
Total Posts:  4599
November 9, 2009 3:52:17 PM    View the profile of Willtconq 
Okay, I noticed that with the strong feelings toward some of the bigger issues, the smaller ideas and suggestions are simply being ignored and washed out.

So in regards to the Academy and the Capital Ship programs, lets have a separate topic going for each of them, so further discussion can be done specifically.

Meanwhile, I have another idea, in regards to storyline. Some of these ideas have been played with in the past, but as far as i know (which doesn't include recent history) none of these has ever been implemented. And some of them, frankly doesn't even cross our minds.

1. Complete mission failure - I know what you guys are thinking, what's the point of going on a mission if we're going to fail it on purpose. The truth is, frankly, we never lose, aside from occasionally losing squadron members due to AWOL, we never fail to complete any objective thrown at us, and realistically, that's just plain impossible. A good side to losing once in a while is that it allows for further story development, you get to perhaps meet previous enemies a second time. returning characters allows for more in depth character development as well. Feeling such as hate, anger, shame, frustration are hardly comparable in situations of victory and defeat.

2. Mission Objective failure - same concept as #1, except this is just one objective. it creates a twist in the story, a roadblock that the squadron will have to overcome. which in turn allows for more story and character development. and this may be just me, but 99% of the time, we don't fail our objectives, which is possible, but last i checked, we're not the 501st, and so that statistic is unrealistic.

3. Stationary/Guard/Patrol - I don't think we've ever had such a mission where the squadron just guards a place, and then have it come under attack. As far as I remember, all of the story are aggressive missions taken place away from "base". Just a thought

4. Insurgency - I understand this is what we already do most time as a squad. But this idea is for a 4-man commandos unit skilled in not only fighter but also in ground attacks as well. The Army has such a unit, but as far as i know, those jocks don't fly like we can. This idea has been developed before, but I don't think it was ever implemented. Of course we don't have the man power to have such an operation right now. So, just an idea as well.
-(William the Conquerer)-
Ex Ship Captain of Tiamut
King of PPC 16,000 clicks and counting
"A dishonest man, you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid." - Captain Jack Sparrow
"Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet." - Jane Smith
FM/2LT Willtconq/Nazgul 2-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Fleet/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=)(=^MA^=) [VC:S][SV][BWC][SWC][LSM][CBV]
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Arturo
ComNet Novice
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  59
November 9, 2009 3:59:41 PM    View the profile of Arturo 
I like you thoughts there Will.  Realism does have its perks...

I had already planned on personally failing somewhat largely in the current story, myself.
SCRW Arturo Lee
Imperial Baronet
Ibram Tyrol
ComNet Veteran

Ibram Tyrol

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  1264
November 9, 2009 4:27:54 PM    View the profile of Ibram Tyrol 
1. Complete mission failure - Viper actually had a mission fail because we accidently wrote ourselves into a hole. I know it wasn't intentional, but it still counts :P This was a few months after I joined.

2. Mission Objective failure - I think a previous story I devised sort of had this, I can't remember though. It was titled Operation: Indigo.

3. Stationary/Guard/Patrol - I'll admit, never done a pure patrol story.

4. Insurgency - My first competition in the VE was an insurgency mission, to rescue Riel :P

I've been thinking of new story ideas since I became SC. I'd be happy to generate some for general consumption.

- Special Circumstances

Ensign Ibram Tyrol
Viper Squadron
Commanding Officer
We fly, you die

Adjunctant
VEN
Hunter-Morrell
ComNet Veteran

Hunter-Morrell

[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  1201
November 9, 2009 4:35:08 PM    View the profile of Hunter-Morrell 
I'd actually love to do the Insurgency thing. Maybe we can get Reaper back up and running? Just under new leadership this time.
SC/WO2 Hunter-Morrell/Nazgul 1/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/1Flt/VEN/VE [CBV][BRC][BWC][MC:1]
Hunter-Morrell
ComNet Veteran

Hunter-Morrell

[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  1204
November 9, 2009 4:39:48 PM    View the profile of Hunter-Morrell 
Capital Ship Service Discussion re-routed to here.

Naval Academy Discussion re-routed to here.

Continue on from there.
[This message has been edited by Hunter-Morrell (edited November 9, 2009 4:42:13 PM)]
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3673
Total Posts:  4197
November 9, 2009 5:06:28 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Let me see if I can't quickly review, since some of the other topics have been re-routed, what's been discussed as far as promotions go and then ask if there's any additional comments before they're further discussed by the Naval Commander's Committee/subcommittees.

General consensus on promotions thus far seems to rest on the fact that they have not been occurring often enough.  Proposals to correct the situation have been offered in these ways:

- A points system
- A descriptive outline
- A bi-weekly assessment

I agree with Drac that it may be wise to start off with the bi-weekly assessment first, just to get the ball rolling and see what can't be corrected simply through conscious effort.  This continues to rely, however, on a loose basis of promotion requirements: a kind of gut feeling involving the passage of time since someone's last promotion, additional medaling/position changes, and as Ibram has hinted (I think, lol), individual occasions of phenomenal activity/innovation.  So- do we maybe want to take a second glance, simply, at what we have on the books regarding the qualifications for certain ranks and then, if areas appear to lack elaboration, amend them as needed?  And does Ibram want to elaborate on his reservations further?  Or are there any other general comments about what's been said about promotions?
*Flash Was Here...*

FM/COM Shazam/Nazgul 3-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] [KC] {Platinum Writing Medal}
Ibram Tyrol
ComNet Veteran

Ibram Tyrol

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  1266
November 9, 2009 5:15:39 PM    View the profile of Ibram Tyrol 
Nah I'm good

Although I resent having a 'quota' forced upon me like I'm working in some sort of Promotion Factory.

- Special Circumstances

Ensign Ibram Tyrol
Viper Squadron
Commanding Officer
We fly, you die

Adjunctant
VEN
Drac
ComNet Member

Drac

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  437
Total Posts:  2191
November 9, 2009 6:13:20 PM    View the profile of Drac 
I agree with Ibram about the quotas, though I pointed that out already.

I think it's an excellent idea to take another look at the requirements for each rank...it gives better guidelines for promotion without intruding in day-to-day life in the VEN.

-Drac
XO/CPO Drac/Nazgul 3-9/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Imperial Fleet/VEN/VE
(=*A*=)(=*SA*=) [SoA][MC:2][MC:1][NSR:H][NT:H]

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose.
Drac's VE Wiki Profile: http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drac
Darkhawk
ComNet Disciple

Darkhawk

[VE-DJO] Sith Corruptor
[VE-NAVY] Commodore

Post Number:  2585
Total Posts:  2685
November 9, 2009 7:06:53 PM    View the profile of Darkhawk 
Ibram Tyrol wrote:1. Complete mission failure - Viper actually had a mission fail because we accidently wrote ourselves into a hole. I know it wasn't intentional, but it still counts :P This was a few months after I joined.

2. Mission Objective failure - I think a previous story I devised sort of had this, I can't remember though. It was titled Operation: Indigo.

3. Stationary/Guard/Patrol - I'll admit, never done a pure patrol story.

4. Insurgency - My first competition in the VE was an insurgency mission, to rescue Riel :P

I've been thinking of new story ideas since I became SC. I'd be happy to generate some for general consumption.

Wow, I remember that mission to rescue Riel. Good times.

Anyway, I definitely like the idea of developing a mission that is doomed to fail. It's always fun to kill NPCs off, and you're all right - it's unrealistic to expect the VEN to succeed in every endeavor.
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  3730
November 9, 2009 8:37:57 PM    View the profile of Willtconq 
I've created a new topic for promotion discussion Here

I will also try my best to reintroduce all the smaller ideas that might've been over looked earlier with all the other big ideas.
Quote:While we're on the topic of ship crews, I just got another idea. In the game Republic Commandos, (assuming everyone has at least heard of the name) aside from the squad of commandos, there's always an unseen 5th member of the squad. This person is called "Adviser" and serves as a spotter sort of person for the squad from the safety of the base ship or command center.

The main purpose of this person is real time contact with the squad/squadron in the field with the higher ups. at the same time able to access secure information through the command center and provide the field units with up-to-minute intel as they come in.

For starters, this could be an NPC, and later on filled in by someone not in the deployed squadron, possibly in the officer ranks in order to access classified intel. This would, I believe, open up a whole new venue for story development, char/squadron development, etc.

Quote:My ideal for the Task Force, or possibly just for Task Force competitions or maybe just a related side-game, would be to allow members to use ships purchased at the ICS. Up to this point the only recourse we've had to use those ships is solo CD stories and the rare idea like the Ykntola Order or my Mon Calamari Knights story...and even those tend to be extremely awkward and unsuccessful.

Letting members use their ships in direct service to the VE would be awesome. We could also incorporate limits through set maximums of # of ships & ship size for each rank.

Otherwise we're still where we are right now in regard to those ships...I can say I've got an eight ship fleet, but it doesn't do a thing for me. Ships are just bragging rights, and hollow ones at that.

-Drac

Quote:Meanwhile, I have another idea, in regards to storyline. Some of these ideas have been played with in the past, but as far as i know (which doesn't include recent history) none of these has ever been implemented. And some of them, frankly doesn't even cross our minds.

1. Complete mission failure - I know what you guys are thinking, what's the point of going on a mission if we're going to fail it on purpose. The truth is, frankly, we never lose, aside from occasionally losing squadron members due to AWOL, we never fail to complete any objective thrown at us, and realistically, that's just plain impossible. A good side to losing once in a while is that it allows for further story development, you get to perhaps meet previous enemies a second time. returning characters allows for more in depth character development as well. Feeling such as hate, anger, shame, frustration are hardly comparable in situations of victory and defeat.

2. Mission Objective failure - same concept as #1, except this is just one objective. it creates a twist in the story, a roadblock that the squadron will have to overcome. which in turn allows for more story and character development. and this may be just me, but 99% of the time, we don't fail our objectives, which is possible, but last i checked, we're not the 501st, and so that statistic is unrealistic.

3. Stationary/Guard/Patrol - I don't think we've ever had such a mission where the squadron just guards a place, and then have it come under attack. As far as I remember, all of the story are aggressive missions taken place away from "base". Just a thought

4. Insurgency - I understand this is what we already do most time as a squad. But this idea is for a 4-man commandos unit skilled in not only fighter but also in ground attacks as well. The Army has such a unit, but as far as i know, those jocks don't fly like we can. This idea has been developed before, but I don't think it was ever implemented. Of course we don't have the man power to have such an operation right now. So, just an idea as well.

Lol, looking back shows how much unique new ideas new really had, no more than 5. IRC has already been acted on, so is gaming. Everything else pertains to the three major ideas.
"A dishonest man, you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid." - Captain Jack Sparrow
FM/2LT Willtconq/Nazgul 2-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Fleet/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=)(=^MA^=) [VC:S][SV][BWC][SWC][LSM][CBV]
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3682
November 10, 2009 1:15:15 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
In referance to #2, there- I agree, lol.  We've tried atleast once to make special missions (usually vacation stories) where members could use private craft, but never really in active service.  Idea, lol:

We could have bounty missions, of sorts: missions open to "anyone" willing to take them.  Pilots would have to use their personal craft of course, in groups with other people, using their personal craft.  In fact, we could have breaks (down-time) where missions may not run for squadrons, giving folks a bit of a break, where missions such as these could take place, but be treated as the primary Naval activity. 

Which brings me to another issue.  Anyone think that writing missions all the time, and even some vacations, can just feel un-ending?  I mean, we're here to have fun, but have we ever thought about having a little down-time every once in a while?  This may be a horrible idea, lol, but maybe we could switch gears every couple of months and assign one month to other types of stories/activities? Thoughts?

Edit: We're ganna hear more about downtime regardless when we start talking about the new NLO position.  There may be a topic for that as well? Lol.  *shakes head*
*Flash Was Here...*

FM/COM Shazam/Nazgul 3-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] [KC] {Platinum Writing Medal}
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 10, 2009 1:26:27 AM)]
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  687
November 10, 2009 1:27:51 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
if you go back a few months, i threw that into Nazgul.
we did a little thing called, "The Ties That Bind" and the only fighter use was in transportation ,and a final, one sided dogfight.
the rest was ground pounding wet work...and it was EPIC.
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3685
November 10, 2009 1:30:16 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
*There it is*
*Flash Was Here...*

Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  688
November 10, 2009 1:34:27 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
Shazam wrote:*There it is*

Lawrence Fishburn in 'Searching for Bobby Fischer'
Classic...one of my personal favorites
[This message has been edited by Atrasin (edited November 10, 2009 1:37:39 AM)]
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3687
November 10, 2009 1:39:09 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
I wish I'd done that intentionally, lol.

*Cough* Off-topic.

I'll rent that movie this Friday, though.  Lord knows I never got a chance to see "Detonator" with Pierce Brosnan: that had 'perfect film" written all over it.  *Shrugs*  BACK TO TOPIC!
*Flash Was Here...*

bjorkfrid
ComNet Novice

bjorkfrid

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  64
Total Posts:  630
November 10, 2009 8:00:01 AM    View the profile of bjorkfrid 
This board is about writing stories. IRC and lounge nights are all well and good for those that are able to get on-line frequently enough with others but the VE is a role-playing, fan fiction hub.

Coordination is a key issue, which is why its good to see such a healthy debate taking place, but we need to coordinate on more of a day-to-day basis. By this I mean coordination on a squadron level in terms of planning the story and monitoring its progression. During my short time in Viper I have participated in two very enjoyable missions that put a twist on the standard fighter pilot arc. The standard formulae I'm referring to is the mission briefing, flight sim, cantina, skirmish dogfight - rinse and repeat structure. Operation Indigo was an objective failure but an engaging story to read and participate in. The current story, Shades of Grey, is equally intriguing requiring our characters to face moral decisions and ambiguous situations bringing into question our own sense of integrity.

We have suffered an AWOL issue but the reason for this was down to a lack of coordination and communication. For example, Tinker, Ibram and myself had a good conversation about what direction we wanted to take the current story in and discussed how it would progress but we failed to coordinate with the rest of the squadron and in particular new recruits which has lead to many one story posters disappearing. Tinker took a leaf out of Nazgul's book and did several mini-stories in attempt to orientate new recruits but we still had them leave. This was not down to her effort but because they hadn't been assessed and placed correctly to a squadron where they'd flourish.

Right now I don't think we have squadrons to facilitate the integration of all level of writers. Both Nazgul and Viper operate, in theory, a word count minimum which as several of us have said can be daunting and pressurising. Why not make Venom squadron a fully implemented unit for those who want to write shorter posts or of a less invested nature. I'm sure several of Viper's recent AWOL's would have flourished in such an environment.

This does not mean that such a squadron would be simpler in comparison to the rest. All squadrons would need to coordinate their stories and encourage a debate to ensure that the pilots in them where involved in the kind of stories they wanted to participate in. Shades of Grey was a step in the right direction for Viper and I have tried to provide clear information to new and returning pilots as to what is going on and how they can get involved. More importantly we have discussed these things and opened it up in a framework which provides something to write towards but is at the same time flexible enough to accommodate changes.

Regardless of the issues of the academy those that assign pilots\writers need to be confident in their assessment of a new recruit's ability. This should be primarily concerned with their writing. For example if a new recruit presents a brief bio, weak sample text but shows keenness then they need to be nurtured not cut loose to find a footing in a six month on-going story of 1500+ word-count posts. Their squadron should not be a training squadron to see if they're going to stick around to be included with the big boys as all squadrons are equal and valid. It would be down the existing staff to present short, sharp stories to these 200-500'ers that would be more likely to get them engaged. Get their opinion of what type of story the want to be involved in and then try and get those things implemented at a fast pace.

Both of our existing squadrons would benefit openly discussing where they want to go and what kind of identity they want to represent. Nazgul (green stuff et al) seems to have a stronger brand than Viper at the moment but both need to talk openly about what stories they want to coordinate in general. It should not just be the SC that is in charge of planning and monitoring a story, every pilot should have an opinion on the matter. Otherwise we have pilots who think a 300 word post about drinking corellian whiskey is an acceptable form of participation. (Of course there is nothing wrong with such a post but they need a reason and not just use it as a standard cop-out)

We have to ask ourselves why do people feel compelled to write such posts? It's because they haven't been asked what they want to write merely given a brief cryptic instruction to do CD between mission briefing and deployment.

Promotions, rewards are all fine as a bonus but we should all be here to write. Competitions in the past have shown that the Navy can coordinate and discuss what the nature of the story will be and how it will progress through out the competition. This, however, should be the norm for all stories if only operating at a squadron level. The squadrons need to be addressed not the academy or career path.

The capital ship idea is good for those of us that have been around and want to move on from starfighter skirmishes but our squadron stories should be so much more than that and they can only be more if we talk more and coordinate our stories. What is a squadron story?  We're in the driving seat, we can have squadron's get lost in space, wrecked on a planet, escort a diplomat, massacre a bunch of bantha farmers just because they looked at us funny. We should feel confident enough in ourselves to call the shots.

We have alot of diverse characters in the navy and we should be able to discuss what stories we're going to have. We don't need graphics and maps (those they're a nice bonus) in order to have clear objectives of a story. The current SC of both squadrons are capable enough of marshaling a story through their pilots but they shouldn't feel it's their responsibility alone.

For example in Shades of Grey, Ibram left it to me and Tinker to organize the second progression of our story and although it has been slow due to AWOL issues and suffering a blow with Tinker's unfortunate retirement, it was a good chance for us to discuss the movement of the story and open it up to the squadron as to how we should continue.

I know some might say, how can rely on new pilots to be trusted with a responsibility as monumental as effecting the flow of a current or planned story. The reality is they already do as the nature of this board means we have people leaving, joining and returning as our stories are in full flow so we're forever writing people in and out of stories. Those occurrences in themselves should be used as opportunities to consult squadron and the new recruit:

"We got a new guy coming in what should we do?"

"How about we come across him marooned on a drifting transport?"

"Ok but he'll have to tweak his back story what does he think?"

"He likes the idea but suggested how about have the transport be the one that was taking him from the academy to us."

"Yeah that could work as our story is dealing with raiders operating in our assigned system anyway."

"Sounds sweet we could have two us go aboard in full space suits and pry him out of the wreckage..."

etc

We need to be dynamic and as writers we should enjoy such a challenge. We need to stay open to coming and going of each other but maintain communication and coordination and embrace a flexibility to adjust stories to suit.

We need honesty from the ranks when it comes deciding where best to place somebody and have a squadron set up for the purposes of leading by the hand  those who are less familiar or new to writing but in a non-"this is training squadron" way. That way we would avoid needlessly AWOLing people by dropping them in the deep end or in an environment they are not suited to.

TLDR;

We here to write, we need a way of quickly assessing a new recruits ability and willingness to write, we need to correspondingly assign that new recruit to a squadron they are best suited i.e 500'er or more invested writing and we need to coordinate stories and not be afraid to take them where we want to go. Everyone in that particular squadron should want to be there and have a valued opinion.
FL/PO2 Cali'reharn/Viper Squadron Viper 9 /Phoenix Wing/Personal: Alphaclass Xg-1 Star Wing/1Flt/VEN/VE/ (=*A*=) [MC:2]

We fly
you die
[This message has been edited by bjorkfrid (edited November 10, 2009 9:01:26 AM)]
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3690
November 10, 2009 3:45:50 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
I completely agree, Cali (can I call you that? lol).  Often, when we decide to take on tough, character driven stories, we plan ahead and the power of planting a plot and moving the story along falls on to one or two people.  What if that person goes missing?  Can't make the proper plot moves at the proper times?  Well- things go to crap.  I'd also note that since the major plot movements are made by those individuals, other folks are inadvertently pushed into writing fluff, like the bar scenes Cali mentioned.  But to correct said problems, we have to ask ourselves: how much planning should be done ahead of time?  What should be expected of the individual?  This is somethin I kind of came up with when I tried to put some materials down for a manual a little while back: not horribly complicated, but it's somethin to consider.

Essentially, the responsibility of creating a major story should still fall onto atleast two individuals (that way someone's always there to keep it moving).  But the plot moves should be mission driven: they plant objectives for the mission as a whole.  While putting objectives down does limit the story somewhat, it also creates a strong sense of direction and flow, and gives the story a legitimate ending point.  These folks can also create a concurrent storyline from the enemy's POV, giving the story an extra dimension.  As for the people who plan these mission objectives and come up with the initial story idea, that can be extremely flexible.  Perhaps you could circulate through FLs and FMs so as to give everyone an opportunity to plan and participate in story-creation.  This would be essential in moving folks up the latter, anyways.  But that's about all the planning that would really be done on the larger scale.  They'd make a short intro post giving some background, maybe a starter objective, and perhaps the introduction of an enemy POV.  Then, they'd be in charge of posting the next objective after one has been completed/failed.  In fact, if folks are not moving their character's and plot in a timely manner, stagnating the story, that could be a factor in calling an objective "failed."  You wouldn't have to plan to fail- you just would because you didn't move fast enough.  We could have squadrons failing multiple missions, lol. 

But that's all they do on the large scale.  Like Cali mentioned, a lot more plot and character exposure has to be produced by the individual so that stories are interesting.  By keeping the constraints of the story-builder loose, you open up the plot and means of accomplishing those objectives immensely: folks aren't afraid to post, and they even become creative when it comes to completing those objectives.  They become empowered, in other words.  I can see, also, though, how doing some planning from the level of the flight or the wingmen could be helpful.  By planning with a smaller group, not only do you surprise the other members of your squadron, but you have a sounding board for ideas and can develop characters within a group dynamic, so the group becomes important as well as the individual.  That last part is the hardest to do, really: involves a well oiled flight: lots of communication.
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 10, 2009 3:50:01 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 10, 2009 3:55:48 PM)]
Arturus
ComNet Marshal

Arturus

[VE-ICS] Senior Company Agent
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  2119
Total Posts:  2143
November 10, 2009 4:06:06 PM    View the profile of Arturus 
For the record, less than a year ago I proposed overhauling our ranks structure into a Navy stream and Starfighter Corps stream that would have helped with multiple career paths, amongst other things.  It was shot down but you may want to revisit it.  I throw this out there based on what I read on the first page.  To be honest I will confess I do not have time to read all four pages of this before posting but I wanted to indicate that alternative rank structures do exist and I at least think they are worth revisiting.
Imperial Navy: Lieutenant Commander Corran Hargraves, Naval Operations Officer, Naval High Command

NOO/LCM Corran "Arturus" Hargraves/M/SSD Atrus/Task Force Iota/1st Fleet/VEN/VE
(=A=)(=SA=)(=*MA*=)(=FCO=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)[CL:5][MC:1](x3)[SV][BRC][VC:S][CBV][LoM](x2)[NS-7][LoR][GWC][LoC-DD][CM-PL]

Vast Empire Intelligence: Lieutenant Commander Corran Hargraves, Commander, Naval Intelligence

DIRNI/LCM Corran "Arturus" Hargraves/STC Doashim/Sigma Group/COD/VEI/VE

Imperial Centre Store: Corran "Arturus" Hargraves, Senior Company Agent

SCA/LCM Corran "Arturus" Hargraves/Ship TBD/ICS/VE

Clearly Canadian!

Biography
Hunter-Morrell
ComNet Veteran

Hunter-Morrell

[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 1st Class
[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  1210
November 10, 2009 4:12:15 PM    View the profile of Hunter-Morrell 
Any chance you could go back to that topic, wherever it is, and bump it? Or quote part of it. That way we could all see it.
Arturo
ComNet Novice
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  99
November 13, 2009 1:17:54 AM    View the profile of Arturo 
Is there another Commander's Committee Meeting up and coming?  Just curious...
SCRW Arturo Lee
Imperial Baronet
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  3752
November 13, 2009 1:32:17 AM    View the profile of Willtconq 
Yep.
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > New List  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 1:05:06 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 171  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >