Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  40
Total Posts:  277
  RE: New List
November 5, 2009 11:43:10 PM    View the profile of Arturo 
VECON 2010!

We (as Will told me) haven't been really into gaming in 7 years.  Why not have a sort of recruiting drive and gaming event at the same time?
SCRW Arturo Lee
Nazgul Squadron Flight 3 Member
Imperial Baronet
FM/SCRW Arturo Lee/Nazgul 3-11/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1FLT/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3654
Total Posts:  4197
November 5, 2009 11:57:40 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
And I did try a story-writing idea for Venom, lol, but we didn't have the chance to really take it seriously.  I think it's still in the best interest of the pilot to get into a squadron as quickly as possible though: they can start making real connections and having real responsibility once situated, as opposed to spending time in limbo trying to complete assignments for "training."  We can't teach these people how to write, afterall lol- we just have to make sure they have the materials they need to be on  their way: a bio, a wiki page, and maybe a basic understanding of what will be expected of them.  If anything, training offers a buffer between serious recruits and recruits that will enter a squadron one day, and be gone the next: that's the BT's most essential function.  The rest is meant to make things easier on the squadron, lol.
*Flash Was Here...*

FM/COM Shazam/Nazgul 3-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] [KC] {Platinum Writing Medal}
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 5, 2009 11:59:19 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 6, 2009 3:09:55 AM)]
Gunnay
ComNet Cadet

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  265
Total Posts:  318
November 6, 2009 12:14:13 AM    View the profile of Gunnay 
My point is not to have a "beginner" squadron, but to sort squadrons by activity level. Have a high-activity squadron for those that like writing 1000+ word posts, a regular for those that want to do 600-1000 words and a low for those that want to write less then that.

You could also make the high-activity squadron "Elite". Those that want to get into it have to show their activity level and ablility to sustain that level under the guidelines of the regular squadron. When they show that, then they can be admitted into the elite squadron.

Also, competitions wont be hurt. You can score them based on word count as opposed to number of posts. Or if you want to make it more interesting and tougher on the elite squadron, you could keep it by post count
Senior Crewman Gunnay

FORMERLY:
Nazgul 3-2
Adjutant to the Training Officer
A:TO/FM/SCRW Gunnay/Nazgul 3-2/Wing I/mSSD Atrus/1VIF/VEN/VE (=*A*=)
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  3714
Total Posts:  4599
November 6, 2009 1:15:09 AM    View the profile of Willtconq 
What Arturo meant to say was. We should step up a bit in gaming as well. I know VE has since then moved from gaming to writing. but let's face it, VE used to have ton, a ton of members when it was high on gaming. According to Rizzit, in 2002, the VEN was FULL, imagine that, a full roster. I didn't even know that was possible. Now, i don't expect this to fill our ranks again, but it certainly won't hurt.

If people can get online, play games a bit more, participate in other gaming communities and help promote VE, i'm sure we can get in a lot more recruits than now. But that is a long term goal, and there's some more pressing matters.

Such as the VENA. I'm glad Shaz didn't take offense. and I completely agree with what he said. Through my entire career in the VEN, I hardly ever saw any of the tests, except AE, as helpful. to me they always presented themselves as obstacles. and naturally, my mindset was that I need to overcome the obstacles in order to move on to greater things. Instead of the helpful, informational, things, that they need to be.

And it is true that in recent years the tests have taken over as the main reason for promotions rather than good ol' hard work. In fact, I don't think there has been a single promotion for hard work in a long time, months. And that need to be changed. However, I do blame the partly absence of the top tier of leadership. By tradition, it almost always was Japh who gave out promotion, or an officer of lower grade, but with Japh's permission. Ever since Japh disappeared, promotions are no longer "approved" and thus went away as well.

If we move the majority of training to the squadrons, that's really just an official move. unofficially, that is already being done. After graduating from the Academy, no one really goes back for additional studies, and there's no one to teach the higher courses. The only thing we do in the NA after graduation is to read the "text" for further advancement, then take a test. not so much teaching and learning as to read, take test, hope you won't ever need it again.

That kind of attitude obviously does not help. and so i support your idea to move the additional courses to an interest basis. those that with to learn further are welcome to, if they wish to take the test, then they will be rewarded. might i suggest though, to go back to the old three-grade-system, distinction, pass, fail. no need to be too technical for them to be so technically specific in this case. However, they will not be required for further advancement as they are now. advancement into leadership position, as Shazam said, should not be decided by whether or not that person posses the knowledge to, or have passed a test, but instead be whether or not he has the skills and the ability to lead people, and whether or not he/she commands at least some respect from his fellow peers. (it wouldn't be very logical to make someone that everyone else dislikes into a leader) The knowledge of how a Tie works is just bonus.

However, I also think that there should be some form of new recognition for those that excels beyond others or show strong interest in their career. but that's something else entirely.
-(William the Conquerer)-
Ex Ship Captain of Tiamut
King of PPC 16,000 clicks and counting
"A dishonest man, you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid." - Captain Jack Sparrow
"Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet." - Jane Smith
FM/2LT Willtconq/Nazgul 2-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Fleet/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=)(=^MA^=) [VC:S][SV][BWC][SWC][LSM][CBV]
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Drac
ComNet Member

Drac

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  407
Total Posts:  2191
November 6, 2009 1:45:53 AM    View the profile of Drac 
I agree with all that. I know that, from the perspective of someone staring the Minor Exams in the face, they're just not that usefull. Really, they aren't very useful at all. It's just a few more hours I'll spend researching answers to copy/paste for Distinction rather then writing squadron stories or CDs.

The Minor Exams in particular don't make much sense to me. As a Flight Leader I've learned or will learn most of the material on there naturally...at least enough to have a general feel for it. On the one hand I want promotion and therefore want to take the test. On the other hand, yeah it'll net me a promotion, but it won't do anything for me position wise. What I mean by that is that, like most pilots who reach the MEs, I am already a Flight Leader- so it can't give me that. It's also too little to get me an XO posting (regardless of the current situation), so it doesn't really do anything for me...yet it's a roadblock.

<--Me, looking at the MEs

-Drac
FL/CPO Drac/Nazgul 3-9/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Imperial Fleet/VEN/VE
(=*A*=)(=*SA*=) [SoA][MC:2][MC:1][NSR:H][NT:H]

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose.
Drac's VE Wiki Profile: http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drac
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3659
November 6, 2009 1:56:13 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
*Nods*  I think you hit it on the head when you said that the academy was providing more obstacles than advancements.  While I expected the tests to keep some folks from taking part, it was never intended to be soooo monstrous, lol.  Either way, it's something that needs to be fixed.  In any case, we ought to remember that the Academy is here to augment the capabilities of our pilots, not hinder them.  For that reason, I think that offering support materials would be a great role for the Academy to play.

In that same vein, I would point out that if squadrons were to take on the brunt of "training," we could still offer helpful articles, saving the SC some un-needed explaining.  I mean, I've already got some fairly well developed articles from over a year ago, lol, and they could easily be changed around and re-organized to suit a more squadron-friendly template.  *Drops work*

http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Things_You_Gotta_Know_How_to_Do

http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=SC_Attitude

All of the articles need some re-hashing and redeveloping of purpose/intent, but I think articles like this could be extremely helpful in creating a tone/basis of comparison for SCs. 

Will's also absolutely correct about the role our higher-ups play in the promotion system.  Perhaps we need an official change in policy?
*Flash Was Here...*

FM/COM Shazam/Nazgul 3-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] [KC] {Platinum Writing Medal}
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 6, 2009 2:06:17 AM)]
Anden Beliam
ComNet Member

Anden Beliam

Post Number:  309
Total Posts:  362
November 6, 2009 2:23:54 AM    View the profile of Anden Beliam 
Pertaining to Will's first post-

Activity on IRC:
I cannot vouch for everyone- but I get on when I can. I have no set time that I am really on. And when it comes to meetings... I get to them when I can. When I have been able to get to them- it's nice to get the updates. The bonuses were ok... but not really needed.

I really think it depends on what each individual sees the meetings as. A chore? a benefit? A chance to just hear what's going on? It really depends on what is driving you to go. And... if that drive is enough to get you there.

For the leaders on the board....I'm sure it kills you to see NO ONE else there when you are on. But really...what CAN be done to get more from the Navy there?? Nothing really.

Encourage, be there, stay positive. that's about all I can suggest.

On to the next part: Improving the Navy.

We are, quite simply, a story RP board. I think if we are going to improve the board we are going to need improve activity on the stories. Good, hopefully great, complete stories. What does it take to make them?

Word Count-
to limit or not to limit- that is the question. While character building is good, I think that going beyond the 1500 word count in a squadron story is going a bit far, even though I have done it myself at times. Personal stories are a great way to also get in a good long write when needed.

Putting a round about limit on word count in squadron stories would be a great benefit. A limit would mean that squadron members would not only have to write less before posting, it would mean they would have to read less which means more time for writing their own reply. More time for writing replies would mean more activity from more members. More activity would mean better story movement, and fluidity too I think. Of course- that's just what I think. Hanging around the the 1500's hundred in word count is ample space to build on character. Just some food for thought. =)

When it comes to promotions- I'm not sure I really like the tests as I am not convinced that they really are a benefit if used as a mandatory part of promotion. For example- Atrasin is an exceptional leader, a great writer who is active on the board. While it is true that taking the MA's would show that he is dedicated to the board- is it really needed to prove that is the case?? Would anyone, superiors or not, doubt it? I feel safe in saying a resounding, "No"

Soo... again I don't think that they are needed. But maybe the completion could mean added promotions??

I like the idea of a point scale, like the one Atrasin has drawn out and suggested elsewhere on the comnet. If someone reaches a certain amount in points, which would be based upon their activity- aka their dedication- they should be promoted. I think that the minor exams and above should be used as just another tool to help those EXTRA dedicated to get promoted on a more fast pace track- but should not limit those who have not taken them.

Again- just some food for thought. =)

|| Phoenix Wing || Viper Squadron ||
FM/CPO Beliam/Viper 3/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/1Flt/VEN/VE/
(=*A*=)(=*SA*=)[MC][MC:2]

---------------------------------
[This message has been edited by Anden Beliam (edited November 6, 2009 2:28:41 AM)]
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3660
November 6, 2009 2:45:24 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
Points system, eh?  I'd usually be a bit skeptic about it, but as far as promotions go: might actually be a good place to put it.  We could try it out, at least and then have a review of it a couple months down the line?  Great suggestion.

Jumpin back to the comments about the ship career path: I love that idea and agree that it was poorly implemented.  Not sure how far folks are on putting that plan together, but whoever's been workin on it (or whatever plans they get together) perhaps they can put a post up keeping people updated?  I mean, that's somethin we ought to be taking advantage of, lol.  If it takes a while to get a decent picture of what's all goin on: might not be a bad thing.  I suspect getting some infrastructure down and clearing up some issues would be a fine place to start for the Navy right now.  Driver, do you have any work saved on that points system?

Also, lot of talk goin on about gamin.  I've never been much of one, but there've been attempts to get navy members aware of one another's games and platforms.  Perhaps we could have an interested member head up a project to come up with ideas, collect info/oppinions- whatevs?  Lol.  People who haven't read this topic in a while are ganna get pissed at how many replies we've generated tonight, but so be it, lol.  Anywho- great comments.
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 6, 2009 2:49:08 AM)]
Skorge
ComNet Novice

Skorge

[VE-NAVY] Leading Crewman

Post Number:  31
Total Posts:  39
November 6, 2009 8:35:28 AM    View the profile of Skorge 
I know that we are a computer based group and most of us play PC games. But I own an XBOX 360, and once 11/10/09 hits I'm going to be playing the hell out of my Xbox.

As far as recruitment goes... I might have a few guys, who would be interested in the VE.
"I hear voices in my head, they talk to me, they understand, they talk to me."
"They tell me things that I will do, they show me things I do to you, they talk to me."
FM/LCR Skorge/Viper 12/Pheonix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1Flt/VEN/VE/(=A=)
[This message has been edited by Skorge (edited November 6, 2009 8:37:43 AM)]
Riqimo
ComNet Disciple
Imperial Duke

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Company Agent
[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Chief Engineer

Post Number:  2045
Total Posts:  2382
November 6, 2009 8:40:05 AM    View the profile of Riqimo 
Got to read up a bit, but from the last part and a few glances at other parts, I think we need to get our own act together before we attempt to recruit folks.  (more to follow as I read)
Riqimo "Doc" Ray Pershaw
Vast Empire Army, Commander of Training
Imperial Navy, Adjutant Naval Operations Officer
Imperial Center, Chief Technical Officer
Duke of Aaclu, Tadath

"Put a blaster in a citizen's hands, and you have an expendable troop.  Put a purpose in his heart, and you win a soldier."

CoT/1LT Riqimo/Tadath/VEA/VE
[CotE][CDS][EW1][ES2][MSM][BC][SC][BM]
[AS-2][SoH][CoS][GRP][VUA-Eclipse][VUA-ARC-Lambda]

ADJ:NOO/1LT Riqimo/mSSD Atrus/1Flt/VEN/VE (=*A*=)(=*SA*=)

TRN/Journeyman Riqimo/Training 1-2/mSSD Atrus/VEDJ/VE

RDO/CE Riqimo/Cepany/Rnd/VEEC/VE
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  652
Total Posts:  1957
November 6, 2009 9:12:19 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
here's something i put together a while back...

it's a reorganization of the Academy that focuses on continued development and speed of placing recruits.  it also allows for the member to have the choice of career modes, fighters or Cap ships.
it also starts involving the NHC in the development of the membership instead of just sitting around and preachifying to the masses.

enjoy...

OOC:
Imperial Naval Academy:

I Nebula Squadron:  Entry level –Basic training
II Top Gun:  CPO min. – Specialties
III Officer Candidate School:  CWO min –FOCE
IV Imperial War College:  Captain min (NCC must recommend)

I Nebula Squadron:  Entry Level  [Requirement to enter: Joining VE]
  Basic intro to VE structure
  Reporting Guidelines
  Character development/Creation
  Writing Ability Evaluation/tips/pointers
  Aviator’s Exam (AE) – 10 questions (basic)
                                          90-100%- SCRW
                                          60-80%- LCRW
                                          50%- CRW
                                          50% or less – retake exam
**At this point they may decide if they wish to join the Starfighters Corp or join the Capital Ship Service.

II Top Gun:  CPO min rank to apply 
[Requirement to enter: Pass Senior Aviator’s Exam (SAE)- 20 ques. – 75% or higher score]
  Tech information
  Flying Techniques/Deck Skills
  Basic Leadership Skills
  Writing Ability Evaluation – Must have a marked improvement from Nebula Squadron
  Minor Exams (ME) - 20 ques. – 90-100%- MCPO
                                                          75-90% - SCPO
                                                          Less than 75% - retake exam

III Officer Candidate School:  CWO min rank to apply
[Requirement to enter: Pass Master Aviator’s Exam (MA) –observed/quizzed by NTO – Recommended by Wing Commander]
    VE History
    Advanced Leadership Skills
    Management Skills:  both time management and personnel
  Fleet Officers Candidate Exam (FOCE) – Submit proposal/ research/ develop - pass/fail graded by NTO and NXO – Pass w/Honors – First Lieutenant (1LT)
                    Pass – Second Lieutenant (2LT)

IV Imperial War College:  Captain min rank to apply 
[Requirement to enter: one year active service as officer]
    Tactics/Strategic Thinking
    Technical Writing
    Some RL military & management readings
    *Art of War – Sun Tzu
    *How to Win Friends/Influence People- Dale Carnegie
    *other readings as candidate sees fit
      Thesis – oral quiz by NHC        Degree awarded by vote of NHC
                                                            Could award either Master of Fleet Administration (MFA) or
                                                            Doctor of Fleet Administration (PhD)

SC|ESN Geordi "Driver" Atrasin/Nazgul 1-1/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}
Vacuus Ordo, Nex  -Without Order, Death
All a man can betray is his conscience. - Joseph Conrad
We few, we happy few. We band of brothers. - Henry V
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General George S. Patton Jr.
Drac
ComNet Member

Drac

Post Number:  408
November 6, 2009 10:07:20 AM    View the profile of Drac 
The High Command...I don't want to come across as insubordinate here, but in agreement with the comment about Japheth's disappearance...what High Command? I phrased that a bit melodromatically, but the point stands. In my ten months here, only half of the Naval High Command has had significant communication with the membership of the Navy: StOrMz and, to a lesser extent, Denethor.

Without a High Command that interacts with its troops, these sweeping programs stall out or slow down. A great example is the Character Proficiency System...it took four months to get the go-ahead for that. What can be done to get that communication fixed?

One thing I would really like to see in the next few weeks in an Elite Pilot Competition. The last attempt at one of these failed due to lack of participation, but looking at this topic has me convinced that trying again would do a world of good for the Navy. Not everyone would participate, of course, but I could easily see a half dozen or more taking part and making a serious competition of it.

-Drac

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose.
[This message has been edited by Drac (edited November 6, 2009 10:08:52 AM)]
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  653
November 6, 2009 10:20:38 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
i have to agree w/Drac the communication and participation coming from the NHC is appalling.

being in a leadership role does not mean you can tell people what to do, stifle promotion and discourse, dole out positions to those you like and crush those you don't.  it means you lead. you make the hard choices. you move things along. you reward those that work hard and show up, and phase out those that do nothing or do harm.

most of all it means YOU ARE HERE. you interact w/the membership. you press the flesh. you make them feel like being here is worthwhile and you APPRECIATE them.

all of us in leadership positions are guilty of this, me included.  this needs to change - NOW. the NHC needs to realize that without the membership they are in charge of NOTHING.  i'm not saying 'give us what we want and no one get's hurt', but i am saying that the NHC and other leadership positions are not fuedal lordships, and they can go away if we ALL do not respond.

Drac: i think the main reason the EPC failed was that it was FORCED upon us. neither SC's were in favor of it, but we we're ignored.
SC|ESN Geordi "Driver" Atrasin/Nazgul 1-1/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General George S. Patton Jr.
Riqimo
ComNet Disciple
Imperial Duke

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Company Agent
[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Chief Engineer

Post Number:  2048
November 6, 2009 10:40:18 AM    View the profile of Riqimo 
Forced?  Ignored?  I took every single comment you two gave me and turned the ESC into an EPC which both of you ACCEPTED was a reasonable change.

I made the most of what you gave me, and yes, it did fail, but I did attempt to do something to make it work.  And, it was optional to boot, not forced at all.  Of course I would have greatly enjoyed it if the SCs participated or at least encouraged the pilots to look at it, rather than ignoring it near entirely, despite acknowledging that it was an mostly acceptable solution to my face.

Yes, I agree that the NHC is not as active as it could be; which makes me effectively the one who has to coordinate the competitions and gaming for the Navy since Art is rarely around, but the last time I attempted to do anything with productive intentions (the ESC/EPC), it was meet with harsh resistance from the two SCs, not counter-discussion, harsh resistance.  This is a two-way street, and I am open to discussion in future endeavors as long as we can remain civil.
Riqimo "Doc" Ray Pershaw
Duke of Aaclu, Tadath

"Put a blaster in a citizen's hands, and you have an expendable troop.  Put a purpose in his heart, and you win a soldier."

[AS-3][SoH][CoS][GRP][VUA-Eclipse][VUA-ARC-Lambda]

Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  655
November 6, 2009 12:28:32 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
if you'll remember, both Ib and I spoke out against it. we had no choice in whether it happened or not. the "harsh resistance" was due to it being implemented by you and art W/O our input. we were given the choice of a competition we didn't want, or a competition we didn't like.

giving us two poor choices when we didn't want anything at all is no choice.

the 'ignoring' came from the fact that both Ib and I TOLD you we had work issues and could not participate...which is why we didn't want it. that and the lion's share of BOTH squadrons were either AWOL or on leave.

seriously, this is part of the disconnect of the NHC. the SC's are here almost everyday. talking and getting the pulse of our members. are we asked what would be a good thing for the crews: no. are we involved in the creation of competitons or events: no. are we ignored, talked-down to and disrespected by folks who either show up infrequently, not at all, or spend the greater portion of their time in the Army: yes.

this is a two-way street...we just feel like we keep driving into on-coming traffic.
Gunnay
ComNet Cadet

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  266
November 6, 2009 12:47:22 AM    View the profile of Gunnay 
I know I haven't posted much but I have been checking the ComNet and it seems like both Denethor and Riqimo are on a decent bit, at least getting to posts that regard them within 24 hours.
Senior Crewman Gunnay

FORMERLY:
Nazgul 3-2
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  656
November 6, 2009 12:59:33 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
gunnay, of late it would seem so, but a look at the last 6 mos. shows that not to be the case.
Drac
ComNet Member

Drac

Post Number:  411
November 6, 2009 1:08:56 PM    View the profile of Drac 
Driver & Doc: Do you guys seriously want to fight, againover something that's over and done with? I didn't bring up the NHC to dig up grudges; I brought it up so we can take an objective look at the past year and see what went right, what went wrong, and what we can do to improve.

This topic's about the future of the VEN, not it's past. Let's focus on what we can do to improve everyone's experience now and later. The past is for learning from, not for repeating.

-Drac

Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3661
November 6, 2009 1:11:41 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
*Nods to Riqimo*  I started encountering that as well: felt like I had to watch every word I said when I talked to the NHC, and even some of the SCs.  I mean, I tried to be civil, but by god, lol: was like talkin to a brick wall sometimes.  Hard to be constructive when you're gettin your head bit off.  Dunno what the real story is between Riq and Driver, there, but remember to keep things decent boys: speak your minds but be constructive.

General comment on any ideas regarding re-composites of the Academy literature/exams: I'm all for putting materials together to help folks gain some insight into leadership (looks like Driver has some good stuff, for instance), etc, but I would warn against using them to incrementally promote/re-position people as is also proposed in Driver's proposal.  Not that it's not well thought out: looks like an improved version of our current system, but by doing so, you actually make the Navy dependent on the Academy, which would produce the same conflicts as the current system.  This is problematic for a number of reasons: 1) We, again, attach a test to materials that are supposed to be supplemental, not mandatory: which makes them frustrating, and that makes it harder for people to want to read them 2) We force members to go through an obstacle course to gain something that they already deserve: clearly, if your Wing Commander thinks someone should take an exam for officer candidacy, they think that person is ready to be an officer: why have them take a test? 3) It still clouds the promotion system; by allowing the academy to promote off of exams, you involve another party in promotions, which makes it more difficult to make a consistent line of promotion: the power to promote falls under the hierarchy of the CoC, it should not involve the academy.

Again, let me make clear, I think the academy may want to consider it's role as supplemental, not as an intricate part of the careers of pilots.  You wanna learn about leadership?  We got an article about that.  You wanna know more about how a TIE actually works: we got plenty on that.  But those are things that Officers ought to suggest to fellow pilots, not use as a bar by which to designate members as capable officers.  All of these materials are great because the knowledge that one gains is reflected in their writing- that's why we have them.  Not to measure their ability to lead.  Those things are dependent on activity, past service, and the right attitude.  Those are my thoughts atleast, and I think re-organizing or cleaning up the materials isn't enough: making them easy to read and understand, or even more helpful, doesn't change the fact that you're making someone's promotions/positions dependent on testing versus their real work.  That hiccup in the system is a contributing factor to the long waits for promotions. *hiccup*
*Flash Was Here...*

Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  657
November 6, 2009 1:12:17 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
wise words youngling...i won't kill you after all
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3662
November 6, 2009 1:16:21 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
KILL THIS POST!!!
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 6, 2009 1:16:51 PM)]
Drac
ComNet Member

Drac

Post Number:  412
November 6, 2009 1:21:41 PM    View the profile of Drac 
Shazam: So your vision for the Academy is of a place that mainly consists of guides on a lot of topics, with a staff that focuses on teaching those guides as neccessary, mentoring, and developing new guides and techniques? I could definitely go for that. I've seen that work in a lot of other games, and it has definite possibilities here.

-Drac

Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  658
November 6, 2009 1:23:53 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
i think that if you combined that w/my tiered proposal and the points system you could get a usefull training tool that is there when you need it and doesn't stand in the way of someone's advancement.
Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3664
November 6, 2009 1:35:47 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Precisely!  Glad to see I didn't get an earful: thank you, Drac, (edit: and Atrasin): we've come a long ways, boys, lol.

I'd also like to mention that roles of our officers may need some refining.  Who's job is it to make sure that people are being promoted accordingly?  The SCs, I would guess, right?  But is there a system or framework that they use to make sure they're doing so in an orderly fashion?  At current, I'm pretty sure it's mostly guestimation, right?  So that's kind of why I jumped on the points system idea, because it would offer the squadron command staff a point of reference: "well, she's fulfilled the minimum requirements for a CPO..."  And maybe they could check that on a weekly basis?  We could put up a chart/wiki-something-or-other that they could use for reference?  Probably at the academy?

Also- I dunno if folks still do this, but I remember that command staff has this interesting tendency to promote only after a major event has concluded (maybe it's a story, competition, whatever).  Not only does that make the promotions predictable, but it strains the system and contributes to those long waits for promotions: we wait until a story is complete to promote people, even though they deserve to have it right now.  That, I think, ought to be changed.  Maybe using that point system, we could check for promotions on a weekly basis and announce them at meetings.  That would draw a crowd, no?  Because, afterall, if you can get promoted at any time, the interest in the meetings becomes, like we said, much greater.
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 6, 2009 1:37:00 PM)]
Gunnay
ComNet Cadet

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  267
November 6, 2009 1:44:56 PM    View the profile of Gunnay 
Atrasin, you're right. However, Denethor made a post specifically regarding that and saying he would correct it, which he has. The VEN has always used the "praise in public, punish in private" (maybe thats not how it goes, but its close) method. Im sure if you talked to him in a pm about what the NHC is doing and what it can do better, it would be better received then an exasperate post on the NMC about what the NHC ISNT doing. Just a thought
Senior Crewman Gunnay

FORMERLY:
Nazgul 3-2
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  659
November 6, 2009 1:51:29 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
gunnay, not having been around for a while you may not know that that particular process is not working.

what we end up with is concerns and valid points that get swept under the rug. i'm a fan of occasionaly 'calling out' someone. the bright clear light of day won't harm you if you're doing what you should.

all this behind the scenes stuff does is put an outward appearnce of harmony, not actual peace.  if i start a ruckus, i'll stick it out. sometimes it's good to get it out there, you'd be surprised how many people feel the same way you do sometimes.
Arturo
ComNet Novice
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  42
Total Posts:  277
November 6, 2009 3:56:45 PM    View the profile of Arturo 
Le's get away from grousing about and to each other, and back to the flow of new ideas.

I, being a recent Academy graduate, would be in favor of the current proposal; a point system combined with some of the changes Driver outlined would work best in my opinion. Speaking from experience, there wasn't really anything in the Academy process that I found difficult, and most of the information, whether it be technical stuff about flight maneuvers or how to write a better story post, wasn't even new (again, this applies to me). I am in favor of making the Academy a less-intricate part of the training (and promotion) process and having more SC and WC involvement in deciding who has proved himself worthy of promotion or a leadership position, rather than what wiki pages a pilot has read. The material in the Academy pages should be ,ore difficult reading (meaning more detailed/in depth) if possible, but there for those who want it, not mandatory to move up in the Navy. Let me know if I make no sense...
SCRW Arturo Lee
Nazgul Squadron Flight 3 Member
Imperial Baronet
FM/SCRW Arturo Lee/Nazgul 3-11/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1FLT/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)
Riqimo
ComNet Disciple
Imperial Duke

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Company Agent
[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Chief Engineer

Post Number:  2050
November 6, 2009 4:03:25 PM    View the profile of Riqimo 
The issue with the point system is that it requires (at the moment) more work than feasible.  Officers would be forced to work with the points more than their actual normal duties.  Also what happens if one squadron doesn't report in for a week?  Do those points get lost?

And, quite frankly in my opinion, doing the same barely mediocre job over and over shouldn't eventually promote you, even if you get one point per week, and take a whole year to get the points for a promo.
Riqimo "Doc" Ray Pershaw
Duke of Aaclu, Tadath

[AS-3][SoH][CoS][GRP][VUA-Eclipse][VUA-ARC-Lambda]

Shazam
ComNet Sage

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3667
November 6, 2009 4:25:45 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Some kind of general guide-line is what I'm lookin for: if the points system could be simplified so that it didn't require an ungodly amount of time- then it could be usable.  But, otherwise, a qualitative description, at the very least, for time-tables or something, would be helpful.
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 6, 2009 4:26:35 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 6, 2009 4:28:50 PM)]
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  3720
Total Posts:  4599
November 7, 2009 11:51:09 AM    View the profile of Willtconq 
The whole reason of a having a point system is to make promotions unpredictable right? And i'm sure you guys realize it's a ton of work to put everything everyone does to a point value. and on top of that, someone(s) gotta do all the calculations and such, which makes it rather difficult to apply. And like Doc said. what if someone forget to report in, or an SC? then everyone under him/her falls for his mistake? It would be even more work to have to go back and forth, trying to keep things organized.

Where will we start off? 0 points for everyone? random number generator? can't really fairly put a value to all the work each individual has done in his/her career.

Also, the members cannot know the point value for the things they are reporting in for. If they do, then it makes the whole thing pointless, they can easily keep track of the points for themselves, and can easily expect when their next promotion is. In my opinion, point systems are never practical when it comes to keeping things random and unpredictable.
-(William the Conquerer)-
Ex Ship Captain of Tiamut
King of PPC 16,000 clicks and counting
"A dishonest man, you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid." - Captain Jack Sparrow
"Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet." - Jane Smith
FM/2LT Willtconq/Nazgul 2-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Fleet/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=)(=^MA^=) [VC:S][SV][BWC][SWC][LSM][CBV]
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > New List  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 9:34:23 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 99  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >